Print this page    •   Back to Web version of article

Inexpensive Air Filter for Allergy Relief

By John S. James

June 12, 2004

Here is an inexpensive way to filter home air to remove dust, pollen, pet dander, and other particles. Many people with sinus problems, hay fever, or other conditions may find this helpful, especially now as the spring allergy season arrives.

The idea is to use a 20-inch box fan to pull air through a 20-inch square furnace filter. Everything needed (the fan and the filter) can be found at a local hardware store for under $30. No construction is required.

While this is not equivalent to the home air filters that cost hundreds of dollars, it does filter air rapidly and remove a considerable amount of foreign material from it. In my experience it greatly relieved hay-fever symptoms, and resulted in much less dust being deposited in the room where it is used.

We have not heard of this idea elsewhere. It should be considered for asthma and other conditions, because many people cannot afford the commercial home air purifiers -- some of which seem unlikely to work well.


Let us know whether or not you have good results with this improvised air filter -- and send us any suggestions that other readers should know about.

ISSN # 1052-4207

Copyright 2004 by John S. James. Permission granted for noncommercial reproduction, provided that our address and phone number are included if more than short quotations are used.

Back to the AIDS Treatment News June 12, 2004 contents page.

This article was provided by AIDS Treatment News. It is a part of the publication AIDS Treatment News. You can find this article online by typing this address into your Web browser:

General Disclaimer: is designed for educational purposes only and is not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services. The information provided through should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or a disease. It is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a health problem, consult your health care provider.