Print this page    •   Back to Web version of article

Clinical Trials: Philadelphia Hospitals Combine to Form "Supersite" and Reduce Delays

By John S. James

September 15, 2004

Five major academic medical centers in Philadelphia are forming a "supersite" known as the Integrated Research Group, so that pharmaceutical companies can conduct clinical trials at all of them with only one contract and one IRB (Institutional Review Board) to deal with. The purpose of this state-funded project is to attract business to the area by reducing the paperwork and delays in clinical trials, making Philadelphia more attractive to pharmaceutical companies.

For more information, see "Med Centers Form 'Supersite,'" Philadelphia Business Journal August 6-12, 2004, (search for "supersite" -- with a date range including early August 2004).


This kind of organization might also work in other localities to speed clinical trials by facilitating enrollment and reducing administrative burdens. Officials like it because it expands the economy, companies like it because they can approve their drugs faster by avoiding unnecessary delays in conducting trials, and patients benefit because they can get new treatments sooner (mainly due to the faster approvals).

ISSN # 1052-4207

Copyright 2004 by John S. James. Permission granted for noncommercial reproduction, provided that our address and phone number are included if more than short quotations are used.

Back to the AIDS Treatment News September 15, 2004 contents page.

This article was provided by AIDS Treatment News. It is a part of the publication AIDS Treatment News. You can find this article online by typing this address into your Web browser:

General Disclaimer: is designed for educational purposes only and is not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services. The information provided through should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or a disease. It is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a health problem, consult your health care provider.