Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014
  
  • Email Email
  • Printable Single-Page Print-Friendly
  • Glossary Glossary

News Briefs

Three in Four Congolese Practice Safe Sex: Survey

June 19, 2003

Official survey results released Tuesday show three in four young people in Congo claim to practice safe sex to protect themselves against STDs. According to a poll of 2,423 people, conducted in December 2002 by the Congolese government with UN support, 73 percent of 13- to 24-year-olds surveyed claimed to use a condom during sex. Some 76.8 percent of men said they practiced safe sex, compared to 67.66 percent of women respondents, and 87.3 percent of men said they used a condom in their current relationship, compared to 76.17 percent of women. When asked about HIV/AIDS, 83.24 percent of people claimed to be aware of the epidemic and how to protect themselves. Some 70 percent of respondents believed condoms are the safest way to protect against STDs, while 16 percent said sexual faithfulness is the key to sexual health, and 7 percent opted for abstinence. Congo's overall AIDS infection rate is 7 percent, although the figure jumps to almost 14 percent in the Atlantic port city of Pointe-Noire, according to health ministry figures.

Back to other CDC news for June 19, 2003

Previous Updates

Adapted from:
Agence France Presse
06.17.03


  
  • Email Email
  • Printable Single-Page Print-Friendly
  • Glossary Glossary

This article was provided by CDC National Prevention Information Network. It is a part of the publication CDC HIV/Hepatitis/STD/TB Prevention News Update.
 
See Also
Quiz: Are You at Risk for HIV?
10 Common Fears About HIV Transmission
Congo

Tools
 

Advertisement