Print this page    •   Back to Web version of article

U.S. News
Affordable Housing for HIV-Positive in Southern California

November 11, 2005

On Monday, Palm Springs' Desert AIDS Project (DAP) broke ground on an 80-unit development designed to provide affordable housing for people with HIV/AIDS. The nonprofit partnered with about a dozen local and state organizations to finance the $10.5 million project, which should be completed by the end of next year.

A groundbreaking will also be held in two months or so on a neighboring 22,000-square-foot medical facility, said Riverside County Supervisor Roy Wilson.

George Puddephatt, DAP's director of social services and case management, said there is a strong need for affordable housing for HIV/AIDS patients in the Coachella Valley. DAP serves 2,400 clients, 35 percent of whom make less than $10,000 a year. Many are on Social Security and have incomes of less than $800 a month. Puddephatt said the new six-building Vista Sunrise apartments, where rents will range from $200 to $250 a month, will serve this community.

DAP Housing Specialist David Maud said the facility is also needed because of the stigma still attached to the disease. "They do need a little extra support. There is still some discrimination," agreed Bob Frazier, housing case manager at DAP.

Vista Sunrise will have an office on site and counseling services, Puddephatt said.

Back to other news for November 11, 2005

Excerpted from:
Desert Sun (Palm Springs, Calif.)
11.08.2005; Stefanie Frith

This article was provided by CDC National Prevention Information Network. It is a part of the publication CDC HIV/Hepatitis/STD/TB Prevention News Update. You can find this article online by typing this address into your Web browser:

General Disclaimer: is designed for educational purposes only and is not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services. The information provided through should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or a disease. It is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a health problem, consult your health care provider.