Index of articles from Gay and Lesbian Medical Association
The Gay and Lesbian Medical Association is an organization of 2,000 lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered (LGBT) physicians, medical students, and their supporters in all 50 states and 12 countries. Founded in 1981, GLMA works to combat homophobia within the medical profession and in society at large; to promote quality health care for LGBT and HIV-positive people; to foster a professional climate in which our diverse members can achieve their full potential; and to support members challenged by discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.
GLMA plays a critical role in bridging medicine and the LGBT movement and is uniquely credible and effective in advocating for our communities. Through our newsletter, annual membership directory, receptions, and special projects, we offer a wealth of opportunities for networking and community building. Our annual Women in Medicine conference and our Annual Symposium are especially popular.
Recent Accomplishments Include:
- Prominent involvement on the President's Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS. GLMA's executive director and three GLMA members -- including the Council Chair -- serve on this important committee.
- Numerous meetings with senior government officials including the President, the Vice President, the Secretary of Health and Human Services, the Director of the CDC, and the National AIDS Policy Director to discuss LGBT and HIV health issues.
- Launching Journal of the Gay and Lesbian Medical Association>, the world's first peer-reviewed, multi-disciplinary journal dedicated to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered health.
- Leading the successful campaign to ban discrimination based on sexual orientation within the American Medical Association (AMA) and playing a pivotal role in the publication of the AMA's gay-sensitive report, Health Care Needs of Gay Men and Lesbians in the U.S.
- Successfully lobbying the National Institutes of Health to gather information on lesbians as part of the Women's Health Initiative, which led to the historic Institute of Medicine committee on Lesbian Health Research Priorities and Methodology.
- Leading the effort to revise the restrictive CDC guidelines on
HIV-positive health care workers.
- Promoting quality research through the Lesbian Health Fund. Results have been presented at medical conferences and have been published in peer-reviewed journals.
- Publishing Anti-Gay Discrimination in Medicine: Results of a National Survey of Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Physicians.
- Organizing an historic summit on HIV prevention for gay men, bisexuals and lesbians.
- A free one-year subscription for full physician members to the quarterly Journal of the Gay and Lesbian Medical Association. Other members may subscribe for $30, saving nearly 50% off the non-member price.
- Advance notice and discounted registration for our two widely respected annual CME conferences: Women in Medicine and the GLMA Symposium. Our conferences address current topics in LGBT health and HIV/AIDS and provide unique networking opportunities for physicians and medical students.
- Our Membership Directory, an invaluable professional resource. (Only members who give explicit permission are included.)
The GLMA Reporter, our highly praised quarterly newsletter, which highlights important advances in the LGBT health field and provides updates on member activities. Members may place free classified
- The opportunity to be listed in our patient referral database. Each month, GLMA receives many calls from prospective patientswho are looking for gay or gay-friendly physicians.
- Discounts on all GLMA publications.
- Invitations to free receptions at specialty society meetings and conferences.