This flow chart is for patients with chronic HCV infection who are eligible for treatment. At present, the only difference for HIV and HCV co-infected patients with genotype 2 or 3 is that the duration of treatment is unclear. See "Editor's Letter" in this issue.
- Pt has consistently abnormal ALT with positive HCV PCR (see the "Genotype" section in "Recommendations for Those on the Frontline Against Hepatitis C" in this issue).
- Some experts suggest a liver biopsy for all cases.
- Biopsy can be considered at this point, but NIH guidelines may be silent.
- See NIH Treatment Guidelines for specific treatment recommendations.
- Current practice is not the same as FDA labeling.