HIV/AIDS Resource Center for the Newly Diagnosed
Enrique Raul Bernadette Fortunata Heidi Greg Jack Ahmad Lucia

Personal Stories

Getting Through 'Day One With HIV': Stories From People Who've Been There

January 31, 2016

1/17

Surviving 'Day One With HIV': Stories From People Who've Been There

How did you get through that day you first found out you were living with HIV?

Whether an immense relief or the worst moment of your life, an utter shock or, ultimately, not surprising, it is likely one of the most intense days a person can live through. TheBody.com's readers have generously shared their experiences and reflected on how they've changed, and so that others would know that they too can survive and thrive following their Day One with HIV. You'll find more in our archive of Day One stories by members of TheBody.com's community.

Get Started

Related Stories

Day One With HIV: Finding Out Your Status, in Your Own Words
TheBody.com's HIV/AIDS Resource Center for the Newly Diagnosed
More "Just Diagnosed" Stories

Comment by: Zandie (Umtata) Fri., Jan. 6, 2017 at 7:51 pm UTC
The 1st day i was diagnosed hiv posive,i didnt knw how to react,i didnt even knw how i felt bcz i was telling maself dat am negative,i went to the clinic bcz i had a rash,then i asked the sister to test mi n dats when i found out,on the 29th of Nov 2016

Comment by: Themba (Mpumalanga) Tue., Oct. 18, 2016 at 8:15 pm UTC
first day of Hiv with me was not really that hard to accept because i knew that life can still carry on even if you are infected with Hiv. instead of focusing on the pain which people think you feel when you find out that you are Hiv i focused more on my future and all the things i wish to achieve in life. and it helped me a lot when i informed my partner and my brother about it because they both gave me the surpport i needed. living with Hiv is only made hard by you. but as for it itself can be managed by simply commiting to a good lifestyle and living healthy all the time and doing research bwt the Hiv.

Comment by: Lee Ward (Washington DC) Wed., Jun. 15, 2016 at 2:41 pm UTC
As a retired STD counselor I have told hundreds of people they were HIV positive during my career. I have ALWAYS left them with this reflection
' There -WILL- come a day when you rise to consciousness from sleep and the first thing that comes to your waking mind is NOT that you are HIV positive'

Comment by: Bonita (south Africa, springs) Mon., May. 30, 2016 at 8:27 am UTC
I just got news that someone from the clinic I was diagnosed from goes around telling people about ma status. All I do is cry and ask myself why people would do such a thing when they know its hard for one to even accept it please help me get over this it affects my life I was diagnosed 2015 August but now I feel like the 1st day I was diagnosed hurt, betrayed and lost.

Comment by: anonymous (south africa) Mon., May. 30, 2016 at 8:19 am UTC
My day one was on August 5th 2015 the nurse told me I'm hiv positive I kept my cool and asked questions like what's next god knows I wanted to die right there bt no I cried later and same day I told my boyfriend.we are still together even when his scared to go he still supports me like no other. Hiv or not I'm living a golden life, happy and in love I have virus in ma blood either than that I'm as normal as ever come and after a year we gonna try for a baby of cos medically

Comment by: concerned wife (south africa ,durban ) Thu., May. 26, 2016 at 5:21 pm UTC
Hi thank you for this awesome site last year jan 2015 my husband found out he was positive his cd4 was 157 they started him on treatment after 3 months his cd4 was 122 and viral load was undetectable this month may 2016 he done another test his cd4 is 127 but viral load is 64 he has a problem when he takes his meds 3 in one combination he goes to the toilet his stool is not weak its almost firm why does it happen a couple of months ago he had warts near is private parts we put meds it went away can you tell me what was the reason for the warts he has also had a fungal nail and rash problem for many years we have not treated that as yet so confused ,worried and scared I really hope his meds are agreeing to him thank you

Comment by: when I found out (md) Wed., May. 25, 2016 at 11:19 am UTC
I just asked god to forgive me and the person, said oh well I got medicine to take and life goes on. it's really a choice if you want to live, then take your medicine, just like any other medicine. Stop looking for pity. Get on with your life.

Comment by: charity (new philadelphia. ohio) Sun., Mar. 13, 2016 at 11:30 pm UTC
gina i cant believe that woman was so mean to you. you did not deserve that