Getting to the Bottom of It: Anal Sex, Rectal Fluid and HIV Transmission
- Mattapallil JJ, Douek DC, Hill B, et al. Massive infection and loss of memory CD4+ T cells in multiple tissues during acute SIV infection. Nature. 2005 Apr 28;434(7037):1093-7.
- Kiviat NB, Critchlow CW, Hawes SE, et al. Determinants of human immunodeficiency virus DNA and RNA shedding in the anal-rectal canal of homosexual men. Journal of Infectious Diseases. 1998 Mar;177(3):571-8.
- Lampinen TM, Critchlow CW, Kuypers JM, et al. Association of antiretroviral therapy with detection of HIV-1 RNA and DNA in the anorectal mucosa of homosexual men. AIDS. 2000 Mar 31;14(5):F69-75.
- Zuckerman RA, Whittington WLH, Celum CL, et al. Higher concentration of HIV RNA in rectal mucosa secretions than in blood and seminal plasma, among men who have sex with men, independent of antiretroviral therapy. Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2004 Jul 1;190(1):156-61.
- Kelley CF, Haaland RE, Patel P, et al. HIV-1 RNA rectal shedding is reduced in men with low plasma HIV-1 RNA viral loads and is not enhanced by sexually transmitted bacterial infections of the rectum. Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2011 Sep 1;204(5):761-7.
- Kotler DP, Shimada T, Snow G, et al. Effect of combination antiretroviral therapy upon rectal mucosal HIV RNA burden and mononuclear cell apoptosis. AIDS. 1998 Apr 16;12(6):597-604.
- Mowat AM, Viney JL. The anatomical basis of intestinal immunity. Immunological Reviews. 1997 Apr;156:145-66.
- Veazey RS, DeMaria M, Chalifoux LV, et al. Gastrointestinal tract as a major site of CD4+ T cell depletion and viral replication in SIV infection. Science. 1998 Apr 17;280(5362):427-31.
- Brenchley JM, Schacker TW, Ruff LE, et al. CD4+ T cell depletion during all stages of HIV disease occurs predominantly in the gastrointestinal tract. Journal of Experimental Medicine. 2004 Sep 20;200(6):749-59.
- Guadalupe M, Reay E, Sankaran S, et al. Severe CD4+ T-Cell Depletion in Gut Lymphoid Tissue during Primary Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type 1 Infection and Substantial Delay in Restoration following Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy. Journal of Virology. 2003 Nov 1;77(21):11708-17.
- Heywood W, Smith AMA. Anal sex practices in heterosexual and male homosexual populations: a review of population-based data. Sexual Health. 2012 Dec;9(6):517-26.
- McBride KR, Fortenberry JD. Heterosexual Anal Sexuality and Anal Sex Behaviors: A Review. Journal of Sex Research. 2010;47(2-3):123-36.
- Baggaley RF, White RG, Boily M-C. HIV transmission risk through anal intercourse: systematic review, meta-analysis and implications for HIV prevention. International Journal of Epidemiology. 2010 Aug;39(4):1048-63.
- Bauer GR, Travers R, Scanlon, Todd K, Coleman A. High heterogeneity of HIV-related sexual risk among transgender people in Ontario, Canada: a province-wide respondent-driven sampling survey. BMC Public Health. 2012;292.
- Herbenick D, Reece M, Schick V, et al. Sexual Behavior in the United States: Results from a National Probability Sample of Men and Women Ages 14-94. Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2010 Oct 1;7:255-65.
- Vittinghoff E, Douglas J, Judson F, McKirnan D, MacQueen K, Buchbinder SP. Per-contact risk of human immunodeficiency virus transmission between male sexual partners. American Journal of Epidemiology. 1999 Aug 1;150(3):306-11.
- Jin F, Jansson J, Law M, et al. Per-contact probability of HIV transmission in homosexual men in Sydney in the era of HAART. AIDS. 2010 Mar 27;24(6):907-13.
- Golden M. HIV serosorting among men who have sex with men: implications for prevention. 13th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections. 2006;Abstract 163.
- Weller S, Davis K. Condom effectiveness in reducing heterosexual HIV transmission. Cochrane Database of Systemic Reviews Online. 2002;(1):CD003255.
- Schechter M, do Lago RF, Mendelsohn AB, et al. Behavioral impact, acceptability, and HIV incidence among homosexual men with access to postexposure chemoprophylaxis for HIV. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes. 2004;35(5):519-25.
- Grant RM, Lama JR, Anderson PL, et al. Preexposure chemoprophylaxis for HIV prevention in men who have sex with men. New England Journal of Medicine. 2010 Dec 30;363(27):2587-99.
- Wiysonge CS, Kongnyuy EJ, Shey M, et al. Male circumcision for prevention of homosexual acquisition of HIV in men. Cochrane Database of Systemic Reviews Online. 2011;6:CD007496.
- Fisher M, Pao D, Brown AE, et al. Determinants of HIV-1 transmission in men who have sex with men: a combined clinical, epidemiological and phylogenetic approach. AIDS. 2010 Jul 17;24(11):1739-47.
- Rodger A, Bruun T, Valentina C, et al. HIV Transmission Risk Through Condomless Sex if HIV+ Partner on Suppressive ART: PARTNER Study. 21st Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections. 2014 Mar 3;Abstract 153LB.
- Baeten JM, Kahle E, Lingappa JR, et al. Genital HIV-1 RNA predicts risk of heterosexual HIV-1 transmission. Science Translational Medicine. 2011 Apr 6;3(77):77ra29.
Internet search results. Be careful when providing personal information! Before
adding your comment, please read TheBody.com's Comment Policy.)