The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource

• Comments Comments
  •  (9)
  • Printable Single-Page Print-Friendly
  • Glossary Glossary

Marijuana May Have Potential as an HIV Treatment

April 18, 2014

As marijuana continues to gain legal status in some U.S. states, evidence is emerging that it may be able to help in the fight against HIV -- but legal restrictions are making it difficult for scientists to find out for certain.

Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the main active ingredient in marijuana, could help prevent HIV from spreading throughout the body, according to a recent study. A team of Louisiana State University researchers is behind the findings, which it reached by studying a group of macaque monkeys infected with SIV, the simian form of HIV. After the monkeys received a daily injection of THC for 17 months, researchers saw a dramatic decrease in the damage to the monkey's duodenum (part of the small intestine) and an increased population of healthy cells near the damaged tissue compared to macaques who didn't get THC treatment.

View Full Article

Related Stories

Your Microbiota
Other Sides of HIV: People Taking HIV Meds Share Stories About Side Effects
HIV Could Be Worsened by Harmful Bacteria, Like E. coli, in Digestive Tracts
More Research on Medical Marijuana

• Email Email
  • Comments Comments
  •  (9)
  • Printable Single-Page Print-Friendly
  • Glossary Glossary

Comment by: Greg Freeman (St Kilda Australia ) Mon., May. 5, 2014 at 9:30 pm EDT
Fascinating... I did my operant conditioning study at Monash University, and during the chemical compond structure,, I began to review additional
bio-medical data, on Cannabinoids, and the binding receptors to both the hair and skin shaft with in the human body. It appears that THC cannabinoids binds to the hair and skin, to reinforce growth...

Comment by: Alex Ramirez (New York, NY) Thu., May. 1, 2014 at 8:38 pm EDT
This is something that I always find unfair and very unprofessional. Why does the rest of the world have to suffer because of politics and laws.
Doctors, medical research companies, scientists, etc SHOULD have legal access to all kinds of medicines, drugs, Steroids, chemical, etc.
It is very possible that in one of these compounds, or drugs like Marijuana, cocaine plant or steroids to find a cure for HIV and many other diseases or conditions, but because some people abuse it then the rest of the world has to suffer.
As an example a Steroid called Decadurabulin, it used to be sold in the U.S and it used to be prescribed to people with HIV to gain weight, it was more effective than testosterone itself, but because some started abusing it in sports then it is banned from the U.S and all the rest of the people has to suffer, Deca was also given to people with osteosporosis (including women) now all of these people has to suffer because some others abused it. Same goes for 420 just because some abuse it, everybody has to suffer.
In my opinion instead of banning compounds or drugs because people abuse it, these people should be charged with criminal charges and strip them from any titles earned and banned from the sport they cheated using them, there is no need for the rest of the world to suffer.

Comment by: Theresa Kenney (West Harrison, In) Wed., Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:38 am EDT
I believe marijuana could very well contribute to undetectable and very high td4. I have been living with the disease of HIV for 17 years. I have taken many breaks with my HIV meds and continued to smoke. As of today I am undetectable and at 57%. I hope more research is done on marijuana.

Comment by: PotHead (San Francisco, CA) Wed., Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:38 am EDT
Another reason to legalize my favorite recreational drug. I love using it at work as a school bus driver.
Comment by: Ales Ramirez (New York, NY) Thu., May. 1, 2014 at 8:42 pm EDT
You see because of people like you, I don't know if you are serious or trying to be funny then the politicians impose stupid rules to make things illegal, INSTEAD OF JUST PUNISHING YOU WITH THE FULL POWER OF THE LAW.
People like you are the ones that make everything hard or impossible to the rest of the world.
SHAME ON YOU.
and if you were trying to be funny, I don't think that is funny.

Comment by: CGF (Denver) Tue., Apr. 29, 2014 at 6:43 pm EDT
Marijuana is legal in Colorado. Could always test here.

Comment by: paul (Chicago) Fri., Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:38 am EDT
It's and outrage that Marijuana is still classified as a schedule 1 drug, this country is still ass backwards in so many ways

Comment by: keith campbell (UK) Thu., Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:24 pm EDT
the use of the drug encourages unsafe sex and i enjoy that desire
Comment by: Alex Ramirez (New York, NY) Thu., May. 1, 2014 at 8:48 pm EDT
Sir, your thinking is very primitive and I am sorry to say that, but it is the truth.
Marijuana is not a drug, it is a plant, drug... cocaine, crack, heroine, but marijuana is even safer than alcohol.
I do use 420, yet I do not feel the urge to have unprotected sex, your comment is very sarcastic and I find it silly.
I believe alcohol can make people have more unprotected sex than anything else....YET alcohol is legal and it comes in many flavors and concentrations.