Print this page    •   Back to Web version of article

U.S. News
Georgia: Award Given to Lutheran Services of Georgia to Prevent Homelessness in Albany HIV/AIDS Community

January 27, 2014

This article was reported by the Albany Herald.

The Albany Herald reported that the Georgia Department of Community Affairs Housing Trust Fund awarded $225,000 to Lutheran Services of Georgia (LSG) to increase services to the Housing Opportunities for People with AIDS (HOPWA) program in Albany. LSG is partnering with local advocacy and service organizations to curb the homelessness that HIV-positive individuals are vulnerable to due to the existing stigma of having the disease, as well as the costs of treatment.

"We are very excited to work with our community partners to assist meeting the needs of this vulnerable population," said Phillip Hogan, LSG's HOPWA program manager. Eight regional areas, including Valdosta, Albany, Tifton, and Waycross, will provide assistance with mortgage, rent, and utilities to persons with HIV.

The Georgia Department of Public Health Online Analytical Statistical Information System reported 32 deaths related to HIV/AIDS in the Southwest Public Health District in 2011, 14 of which were from Dougherty County, indicating the heavy impact of HIV in this area. CDC's 2009 statistics show that the highest number of AIDS diagnoses among adults and adolescents lived in the southern United States. The south also accounted for almost half of new AIDS diagnoses in 2010.

Back to other news for January 2014

This article was provided by CDC National Prevention Information Network. It is a part of the publication CDC HIV/Hepatitis/STD/TB Prevention News Update. You can find this article online by typing this address into your Web browser:

General Disclaimer: is designed for educational purposes only and is not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services. The information provided through should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or a disease. It is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a health problem, consult your health care provider.