Print this page    •   Back to Web version of article

Commentary & Opinion
Indian Government Should Repeal Law Banning Gay Sex

December 12, 2013

"India's Supreme Court issued a disgraceful ruling against human rights in reinstating a law that bans gay sex" on Wednesday, when "the court reversed a landmark 2009 decision by the Delhi High Court that decriminalized sex between consenting adults regardless of their gender," a New York Times editorial states. "At issue is Section 377 of India's Penal Code barring 'carnal intercourse against the order of nature,' a holdover from British colonial law dating back to 1861," the editorial notes, adding, "India's crimes bureau stated ominously that it will begin compiling crime statistics under Section 377 as early as next year." Gay-rights supporters and "[h]uman rights groups, including Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International, roundly condemned the Supreme Court decision," according to the editorial. "Prime Minister Manmohan Singh now has an opportunity to leave a lasting legacy of progress before his government steps down next spring. His cabinet should act immediately to seek a repeal of Section 377," the editorial concludes (12/11).

Back to other news for December 2013

This information was reprinted from with permission from the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. You can view the entire Kaiser Daily Global Health Policy Report, search the archives, and sign up for email delivery. © Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. All rights reserved.

This article was provided by Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. It is a part of the publication Kaiser Daily Global Health Policy Report. You can find this article online by typing this address into your Web browser:

General Disclaimer: is designed for educational purposes only and is not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services. The information provided through should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or a disease. It is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a health problem, consult your health care provider.