Print this page    •   Back to Web version of article

U.S. News
Lawmakers, Activists Pressure Obama to Act on HIV/AIDS, USA Today Reports

December 2, 2013

"President Obama is facing renewed pressure from U.S. lawmakers and activists to take legacy-setting action to combat HIV/AIDS," USA Today reports, noting recent actions by members of Congress and AIDS activists in the U.S. and abroad urging Obama to scale up the number of people receiving treatment under PEPFAR and "to agree to pledge up to $5 billion to the Global Fund over the next three years." According to the newspaper, "Activists are also pushing Obama to quickly name a replacement for Ambassador Eric Goosby, who until last month served as the U.S. global AIDS coordinator tasked with directing the U.S. strategy for addressing HIV around the world." The article includes comments from Gayle Smith, the senior director for development and democracy at the White House National Security Council; Tom Myers, general counsel for the AIDS Healthcare Foundation; and Paul Zeitz, vice president of policy for the Endgame Campaign, a group working to eradicate AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria (Madhani, 11/30).

Back to other news for December 2013

This information was reprinted from with permission from the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. You can view the entire Kaiser Daily Global Health Policy Report, search the archives, and sign up for email delivery. © Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. All rights reserved.

This article was provided by Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. It is a part of the publication Kaiser Daily Global Health Policy Report. You can find this article online by typing this address into your Web browser:

General Disclaimer: is designed for educational purposes only and is not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services. The information provided through should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or a disease. It is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a health problem, consult your health care provider.