When We Talk About HIV, Who Are We Not Talking About Enough?

1/15

Who Are We Not Talking About Enough

Which communities do you think don't get their due share of attention when it comes to HIV awareness, policy, prevention and/or care? Since HIV thrives on silence, it is essential to find ways to address the impact of the epidemic among populations that get left out of conversations -- and subsequently funding, programming, media coverage, activism and more -- around HIV. We asked a wide range of HIV/AIDS community members which groups they saw falling through the cracks.

Get Started

Related Stories

HIV Prevention, Young Gay Men of Color and the Fourth Wave of HIV Activism
Eliminating HIV/AIDS: How We'll Get to Zero
From the Margin to the Center: A Spotlight Series
World AIDS Day 2013: Features and News

Comment by: chanelle bailey (pittsburgh) Sat., Dec. 21, 2013 at 10:04 pm EST
I believe the younger gay/bisexual males need to be the most informed.I recently heard of 2 young men on you tube about how they were infected.One was just the tender age of 17 n the other 19.The one asked if the other was clean bc it was his first time with a male,so he told the young boy "my last partner caught it ,but they gave me a shot to catch it in early stages",which we know is a lie.The other young man got lied to about being"clean"as well. One white the other black.Both was their first time. Both had older partners.Both had their life completely changed.It sad bc these young na´ve boys are being tricked by older infected guys.And if they were bisexual they could have infected a young lady.I understand it can happen with man n wmn,but it seems to be more common in gay men.The world is changing and sexuality is being accepted and that's ok,but a lot of ppl are so quick to express their sexually with actions and aren't careful.I feel like the same way parents talk about abstinence or safe sex in their straight children life is how they should talk with their gay/bisexual child bc getting aids and hiv as a teen isn't kool.I know guys who are hiv positive not even out of high school good enough

Comment by: Noah Fing-Whey (Spain) Sun., Dec. 15, 2013 at 12:56 pm EST
I would say the group that needs more information and education and therefore the one that should be included in more discussions about HIV/AIDS would be the group with the highest rate of HIV/AIDS. Now I wonder which group this would be? Since AIDS crept into our consciousness 3 or 4 decades ago I have yet to meet someone with the disease or who died from the disease who did not fit the profile of someone engaged in activities typically associated with a high risk of getting it. There may have been someone who appeared to not fit the profile but it always, as in every single time, turned out that they engaged in the behavior or were involved with someone who was a partaker.
Comment by: chanelle bailey (pittsburgh) Sat., Dec. 21, 2013 at 10:07 pm EST
exactly my point

Comment by: Anonymous Wed., Dec. 4, 2013 at 12:04 pm EST
What I saw was people saying about who are we overlooking, 75% said, "Them others." Writers are advised to write about whom they know. Only one did, judging by their own obvious socio.

Comment by: Benson (IN) Sun., Nov. 24, 2013 at 4:33 pm EST
Interesting. I always thought that the concern about AIDS and HIV applied to all races, genders and ages. I never thought any one group was being overlooked. They all need to be careful and they all need to get tested if they think they may have been exposed or have not protected themselves from possible exposure.
It doesn't matter who you are. Get tested. Protect yourself.

Comment by: Leilani hagberg (Modesto) Sun., Nov. 24, 2013 at 11:33 am EST
Prison populations are not discussed or provided with condoms
Comment by: Benson (IN) Sun., Nov. 24, 2013 at 4:36 pm EST
I disagree. It's prison, not a love shack. For most people (except those who are framed or wrongly accused), being sent to prison is 100% avoidable. Live life right and you shouldn't end up there.
Comment by: lin (Gulf of Mexico) Tue., Dec. 24, 2013 at 8:20 am EST
Many prisoners are not serving life sentences. It has to make more sense to stop the spread of HIV before they get out and infect loved ones or strangers.

Comment by: Doug (Iowa) Fri., Nov. 22, 2013 at 9:55 am EST
Fairfield

Comment by: Nora Junod (Huntington,NY) Thu., Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:32 am EST
I too would like some guidance on new choices, I too feel very alone in thisquest.

Comment by: dax (florida) Sat., Nov. 16, 2013 at 4:10 pm EST
i don't read enough about straight people. what if you're not lgbt. just a straight dude whose life has been shattered and now lives in the shadows.

Comment by: Jack (New Orleans ) Fri., Nov. 15, 2013 at 2:47 pm EST
As someone who has lived most of his adult life( going on 24 years), there are lots of things I should have done but didn't see the need to do. Going to collage seemed pointless back then for example. Now I wish I had learned that second language or earned a degree in something that would have helped me prepare for that retirement age I never thought would happen. There have to be lots of people out there in the same boat as well as lots of people willing to donate their time to teaching new skills to others...