Why Doctors Injected HIV Into a Dying Girl

A Video Blog

June 24, 2013

This article was cross-posted from "A Girl Like Me," a program of The Well Project.

I can't believe I just watched a team of real doctors inject a 6-year-old girl with a deadly disease ... and smiled. Who knew something called a "serial killer" cell could bring so much unforgettable joy and happiness?

-- Ray Flores, Upworthy

Isn't it AMAZING that a little girl who was sentenced to death had the HIV virus injected in her and she is now healthy and alive? I know the cure for some cancers and HIV is coming ... I feel it and I am crying tears of Joy for her and for myself and millions around the world. Isn't it ironic that a disease that has been stigmatized -- so much ignorance around the HIV virus and so, so much discrimination -- is actually saving lives and who knows how many with cancer such as this little angel will be saved? The once ostracized HIV patients like myself and what some called as 'the ones CURSED by GOD' will help others with cancer? so Ironic..so beautiful..so good to finally be talked about in a loving and positive way! Imagine that!!! HIV PATIENTS SAVING CANCER PATIENTS THAT HAVE NO HOPE! Hope and faith is something I will never lose ...

and you should never lose it as well.

Love and Light

Maria T Mejia? -- feeling happy.

[EDITOR'S NOTE 6/28/13: An earlier version of this blog entry failed to properly attribute the opening two sentences. We regret the error.]

Related Stories

A Series Without Shame: Episodes and Interviews From HIV-Focused Telenovela Sin Vergüenza
Yo Soy ... Women Living With HIV (English)
Fact Sheet on HIV/AIDS Malignancies
The Basics on Cancers & HIV

Send Maria an email.

Get email notifications every time this blog is updated.

This article was provided by The Well Project. Visit The Well Project's Web site to learn more about their resources and initiatives for women living with HIV. The Well Project shares its content with TheBody.com to ensure all people have access to the highest quality treatment information available. The Well Project receives no advertising revenue from TheBody.com or the advertisers on this site. No advertiser on this site has any editorial input into The Well Project's content.

Comment by: Wanda Acosta (Mayaguez, Puerto Rico) Wed., Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:32 am EDT
Amazing....!!! After seeing so much hurt and disease from HIV infection, it's amazing that it can bring happiness and health under special conditions.
Comment by: Maria (Miami) Thu., Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:52 am EDT
Amen Wanda such a blessing and so happy for the little girl :)

Comment by: Doug Houge (mn) Mon., Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:25 pm EDT
That's the problem w/HIV, it's not a CELL. it's a virus!
Comment by: Maria (Miami) Thu., Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:49 am EDT
just like with the 2 patients cured from HIV :) they had leukemia and had a transplant with the mutation and now they're HIV free :) and to know that it can go the other way around and this girl is healthy when she was dying ..is a blessing :) I think the cure is on its way !!

Comment by: nat (Oz- Aust) Thu., Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:09 am EDT
Just loved that one sentence in particular so much it brought tears to my eyes... HIV PATIENTS SAVING CANCER PATIENTS...
Never give up. There are many brilliant minds around the world trying to figure both HIV/AIDS and Cancer out.

There is no stigmatism in my eyes to anyone and I wish everyone felt the same.
I hope our world can care and love more and hate less.

Goodluck in your Lifes journey and your work.

Let's not pray but fight for a cure!

Much Love,
Nat
Comment by: Maria (Miami) Thu., Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:43 am EDT
Ty so much for your words Nat :) love and light

never give up xo

Comment by: Day (here ) Tue., Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:53 am EDT
OMG!!! I am soooo happy for her and the family! I can feel the cure is closer than what we think!!! Hopefully I stay healthy long enough to see it happening! :)
Comment by: Maria (Miami) Thu., Jul. 4, 2013 at 4:12 pm EDT
I know I was so happy when I saw the news and article :) I am so happy this litte angel is healthy xo

Comment by: lucy mutwiri (Kenya, Nairobi) Tue., Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:39 am EDT
THANX FOR THE GOOD WORK. KEEP US POSTED
Comment by: Maria (Miami) Thu., Jul. 4, 2013 at 4:13 pm EDT
any article that I read that catches my attention I will share!! this is something I couldnt pass

Comment by: J. Vokoun (Philadelphia, PA) Wed., Jun. 26, 2013 at 5:36 pm EDT
Plagiarism is not something that the Body should allow from ANY of its contributors. That first sentence was written by Ray Flores over a week ago, and can be found at:

Comment by: Maria (Miami) Thu., Jul. 4, 2013 at 4:21 pm EDT
Jim dear it was a mistake anyone that saw and shared the article could see that. the title is what is written above

the 2 sentences were part of the video that was posted..only my notes belong to me.

Thank you for reading the blogs and helping us with the innocent mistake.

The title is "Why Doctors Injected HIV Into a Dying Girl"

at the end of the day this is a story about a little girl that had Cancer and their was no other options for her!!! because of HIV she is healthy now :) that is awesome huh?

sending you and Colin much light and love

Maria

Time to Show My Face and Take the Stigma Away

Maria T. Mejia

Maria T. Mejia

I am a 37-year-old Colombian female who lives in Miami, Florida. I've been positive for 20 years. Although almost all my life I've been in long-term relationships with HIV-negative men, I am happily married to a woman who is wonderful and caring. We have been together almost three years and she is HIV negative. I have no children but we will look into having! I am an activist, a peer educator, a caregiver. I volunteered for the Red Cross in education for the Hispanic HIV community and also the American community. I was a pre- and post-test counselor. I have spoken in many conferences and done a lot of outreach in the community, especially in the schools for prevention and education. It is part of my everyday life to educate everyone I can on this subject. Being HIV positive is nothing to be ashamed about! We are strong women, and we will take away all the stigmas slowly but we have to open up.

Friend Maria on Facebook

Read more blogs by women living with HIV/AIDS at "A Girl Like Me"

A Girl Like Me