A Day in the Life Video Series: J'Mia Edwards on Being Honest About Adherence

June 14, 2013

Keeping up with HIV meds often means having to weave daily doses into a busy life. How do other HIVers do it? In each episode of this video series, we'll take a peek into the day-to-day routine of a person who's living with HIV, taking HIV meds, and dealing with situations that get in the way of adherence. Watch other videos in the series.

Episode 12: J'Mia Edwards

Age: 32

Home: Washington, D.C.

Diagnosed: 2005

Summary: "A lot of people think I'm perfect, and I'm far from perfect." You may have seen J'Mia Edwards in the powerful documentary The Other City -- but being an inspiration to others doesn't make anyone immune to adherence challenges. J'Mia -- single mom of three, full-time student and counselor at an HIV organization for Washington, D.C., youth -- talks about how she gets support in her busy life. "I do everything that most everybody does -- probably do it 10 or 20 times better!"

Keeping up with HIV meds often means weaving daily doses into busy lives. How do other HIVers do it? In each episode of this video series, we'll take a peek into the day-to-day routine of a person who's living with HIV, taking HIV meds, and dealing w

Filmed and produced by Mark S. King.

6 Reasons Why People Skip Their HIV Meds
Word on the Street: Advice on Adhering to HIV Treatment
More Personal Accounts of Staying Adherent to HIV/AIDS Medications

Comment by: Patrick (soweto) Thu., Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:29 am EST
What can I do to gain weight while I'm HIV positive

Comment by: Gabrielle (Georgia) Wed., Dec. 18, 2013 at 1:33 am EST
Girl..take some advice from a woman who has had this for 20 years.. find time that is convenient for your body to take your meds. I used to do the same thing..miss times,pills...And let me tell you now it is NOT a good thing!! Cause now that I have taken ALL the medication that is to be taken for HIV my choices are limited. And yes my doctors and workers told me this would happen and I did not listen..Not to mention the fact where you work. How can you tell young adults and kids to be adherent and you are not? And yes been there also..worked for several AIDS organizations where I had to talk about adherence. Get your pill boxes,get a phone app where it will ring when its time to take your pills and PLEASE set you phone alarms also. my little friend HIV has been living with me since 1999 and I am 57 years old..Just some advice,take it or leave it.(PLEASE TAKE IT!!!)

Comment by: Happiness (Jhb South Africa) Fri., Nov. 15, 2013 at 11:49 am EST
Am a young mother liveng with hiv and i will love to learn more about hiv i will love to help people live a nice healthy life.

Comment by: Shelia (florida) Sun., Oct. 6, 2013 at 4:50 am EDT
I have been HIV since 2005 and I have not said anything with to my family. I am still with my husband and also is positive. I love the video, have to keep this to ourselves, because of how people (family members) will act around us

Comment by: Jasmine (Kaye) Sat., Jul. 13, 2013 at 4:48 am EDT
Hi my name is jazzy and I know how u feel all yous gotta do is prey and be strong

Comment by: Anonymous Sun., Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:56 pm EDT
I have heard all great stories about the effectiveness of ARV'S but I still lost a relative to HIV. She use to take her meds religious but she lost the battle. I'm not sure any longer what to believe. I was her buddy, I watched the way she modified her lifestyle but she still lost it.

Comment by: andre moore (woodbrigde va) Fri., Jun. 14, 2013 at 5:27 pm EDT
THATS A GREAT JOB JUST KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH KNOW MATTER WHAT COMES YOUR WAY AND OTHERS WILL FOLLOW AND REMEMBER GOD GOT YOU ALWAYS!!!!!