Print this page    •   Back to Web version of article

U.S. News
California: UCSD Receives $3.4 Million NIMH Grant to Study Successful Aging in HIV-Infected Adults

February 5, 2013

The National Institute of Mental Health recently presented a team of researchers at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) School of Medicine with a $3.4 million grant for a large-scale investigation of successful aging in HIV-infected individuals between the ages of 36 and 65. Life expectancy of HIV-positive individuals has been progressing since the rise of antiretroviral therapy. By 2015, nearly half of HIV-positive individuals in the United States will be 50 years old or older; this number is expected to continue to rise. According to principal investigator Dilip Jeste, M.D., study goals include: examining positive psychosocial factors such as resilience, hardiness, optimism, and social engagement; and looking at biomarkers of physical and cognitive aging and comparing these factors in both HIV-infected and non-infected adults. Co-principal investigator David J. Moore, PhD, associate professor of psychiatry at UCSD School of Medicine, explains, "Our hope is that understanding factors that promote successful aging at an individual level may lead to the development of new preventative and therapeutic interventions aimed at improving quality of life and well-being in adults living with HIV."

Back to other news for February 2013

Excerpted from:
News Medical

This article was provided by CDC National Prevention Information Network. It is a part of the publication CDC HIV/Hepatitis/STD/TB Prevention News Update. You can find this article online by typing this address into your Web browser:

General Disclaimer: is designed for educational purposes only and is not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services. The information provided through should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or a disease. It is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a health problem, consult your health care provider.