Print this page    •   Back to Web version of article

International News
India: Now, Cultural Events to Create HIV/AIDS Awareness

January 7, 2013

The Tamil Nadu AIDS Control Society (TANSACS) of India has organized a series of cultural performances in rural areas to educate local people as part of a lengthy HIV/AIDS awareness campaign. According to TANSACS District Program Manager B. Mohamed Ali, the campaign's focus is to create awareness in rural areas using an easily understandable format. Throughout a 50-day period, a group of folk artistes will tour rural areas in 23 districts. Every day, they will give two 90-minute performances, using songs and dialogue prepared exclusively to help them spread information.

The group will be accompanied by an integrated counseling and testing center mobile van, medical counselors trained to answer the public's questions, and laboratory technicians to conduct free medical tests. In addition, they will distribute free condoms, materials on HIV/AIDS, sexually transmitted infection, safe blood donation, and preventing parent-to-child HIV transmission. TANSACS will also provide information, education, and communication booths at program venues. Ali noted that TANSACS has implemented several projects to achieve the World Health Organization's goals of zero new infections, zero AIDS-related deaths, and zero stigma and discrimination.

Back to other news for January 2013

Excerpted from:
The Hindu (Chennai)

This article was provided by CDC National Prevention Information Network. It is a part of the publication CDC HIV/Hepatitis/STD/TB Prevention News Update. You can find this article online by typing this address into your Web browser:

General Disclaimer: is designed for educational purposes only and is not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services. The information provided through should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or a disease. It is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a health problem, consult your health care provider.