HIV Cure: Have You Grown More Hopeful?

5/9

Michelle Lopez

Michelle Lopez

Brooklyn, N.Y.; Diagnosed in 1991

I have more hope today for a cure for HIV. The advocates and the activist community, and researchers: What we have learned from this virus, and the mechanism and the pathogenesis of this virus -- because, as we know, there is no cure for the virus today -- but with our understanding of HIV and its mutation, I truly believe we are eventually going to have a vaccine that can be a cure and a preventative treatment for people so that those who are negative can stay negative and those who are positive can eventually be cured. I'm very hopeful.

World AIDS Day 2012: Features and News

Comment by: Trampas Graham (rural Vermont, USA) Thu., Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:55 pm EST
Yes, I a hopeful. Then again, it is a part of my chosen mindset to remain hopeful at all costs.

Comment by: 9Edge1st (Sarasota, FL) Sun., Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:29 pm EST
If a cure were found it would be great and perhaps be helpful in our understanding of not only this virus but many more too. A cure would perhaps help me figure out how the virus (and the meds I take for it) affect my overall health versus the affects of aging, "normal" diseases, etc. When I was diagnosed years ago I was told that by taking the HIV medications I would feel better than I had in years. Well I had been feeling very good up until then, since then it has been a downhill spiral with so much fatigue to deal with every day now. And having to take medications every day serves as a reminder to me that I have this virus. I have to thank the pharmaceutical companies for providing me with free medication though, since I would not be able to afford them otherwise. For me a strong will to survive is the key that gets me through each day. So in summary a "cure" would be great, better "treatments" would be great and better "support systems" would be great"

No replies desired please. I have no desire to hear about fictitious gods, more "willpower" and anything argumentative. Leave those things to those who would listen.

Comment by: Miro (CZ) Sun., Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:13 am EST
I do not think there will be a cure in our lifetime. This is reality. I hear about hopeful HIV cures since 1980's. 30 years later, we are nowhere near functional cure. HIV treatment got better, but there is no new breakthrough. I see people dying in their 30's and 40's of age on HAART therapy. I did not get more hopeful, but resentful that with all the research and money, were are nowhere, only with a better pill or two a day. There is not a chance that with present research, development, and funding that we will see a I cure by 2030.

Comment by: Tim Barrus (North Carolina) Thu., Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:05 pm EST
I have lost all hope. We all know who will get the cure first. Money talks. Especially in AIDS. We cannot afford the drugs we have NOW. Money will have the edge.

Comment by: frola (france) Mon., Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:23 pm EST
i want to ask if a preson who was taken treatment for hiv but some how stop it coz of changing the place and here DR say i have to wait is not the time to take treatment am very afraid i have been a month without treatment

Comment by: Andy (Cleveland ) Sat., Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:20 pm EST
Anyone who has checked the history of "the cure" realizes that we've been hearing promises for almost as long as we've known about HIV. Anyone with a modem and a brain has good reason to take a jaded eye to this article. Without action to get us there, we're effectively no closer to a cure now than we were in 1981, regardless of what breakthroughs we may witness. Generations have now lived and died with this virus, hearing nothing but empty promises and reassurances. It borders on delusional to seriously think any of us is going to see a cure just because of some breakthrough of the week.

Hope is only the first step in achieving a cure. To lose weight, you need to go to gym at least as much as you need to believe you can get in shape. Quitting smoking is more about refusing to light up than believing you can stop. "Hope" is all anyone talks about with the cure though. I've been reading and hearing a steady stream of hope since I was newly diagnosed, years ago. Honestly, all of this supposed optimism in the context of the reality I've witnessed, the history I've read and the opinions I've deduced, only makes me feel worse about our prospects, not better. HIV "cure activists" have become a fat person on the couch reading fitness magazines, believing they'll hit the gym tomorrow, always tomorrow. We've become the chainsmoker who tells himself he's going to stop while he runs out for another pack.

What should we do? Maybe if the messages were less about hope and more about where to put our money, time and voice, we'd have progress. I believe Nelson Vergel did an article on this a few years ago, but we need directions and suggestions at least as much as we need promises. Those of us who are "stable" need to be reminded of why a cure is important. Let's be honest about what it would mean for us, politically, economically, biologically and emotionally. Let's create a real demand for a cure, rather than using it as a reassurance when we're down.

Comment by: joseph l (south sudan) Thu., Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:28 am EST
Am very certain that one day, God will make miracle a cure will be discover.

Comment by: BIG-BIG AL (VENICE, FL 34293) Sun., Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:02 am EST
SORRY, I'M NOT HOPEFUL ANYMORE.....THIS COMING YR
WILL BE 20YRS wt AIDS, 4 ME, IN A FEW MONTHS. I'M FADING FAST NOW...... AL

Comment by: rigo Sat., Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:58 am EST
Great to find a Cure, but in the meantime lets find ARVS with less side effects, ok?

Comment by: Ajay (India) Thu., Dec. 27, 2012 at 11:48 pm EST
I've been surviving with the hope that cure would be possible in my life span. Humans are fighters and they have enough mettle to fight against this teenie-weenie virus. I'm quite hopeful that its dominance would be subdued by inventing a novel and effective cure strategy which could be availed by all victims.

Comment by: DAVID S (ORAGON) Thu., Dec. 27, 2012 at 3:39 pm EST
I LOST MY HUSBAND ANDREW AND MANY FRIENDS TO AIDES
DAVE FROM ORAGON

Comment by: pretty (yeoville gauteng) Thu., Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:08 am EST
I hv one ogf ma son he is hiv positive & having head arc wt must I do 2 stop the head arc

Comment by: budi (padang,indonesia) Wed., Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:17 am EST
i am sure there must be has the cure not just this disease..there will be..i always hope..

Comment by: Catherine (Seattle) Thu., Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:20 am EST
The sentiments for a cure are nice, but the truth is the folks interviewed here have no more idea of a cure than the man in the moon. Why not interview researchers?
Comment by: Jeannie Wraight (Bronx, New York) Thu., Nov. 29, 2012 at 1:26 am EST
Catherine,
I take exception to your comment. Some of us are very knowledgeable about cure research. If you want to hear what the researchers are saying check out The Body PRO. Which btw, at least two of us here write for.
Comment by: Ajay Thu., Dec. 27, 2012 at 11:58 pm EST
Whoever they are its immaterial. Key thing is hope. A person works only if he has some hope. I really appreciate that these guys has again kindled the hope of cure. So, just be optimistic and leave the rest to god. The famous verse of gita preaches that we only have right to work without hoping for fruits and they will surely come as a bounty one day with persistent efforts.

Comment by: david k. (myrtle beach, sc) Wed., Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:32 pm EST
I have grown less hopeful about a cure for HIV

Comment by: John (Mumbai) Fri., Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:55 am EST
Yes god will answer the cries of his children.

Comment by: HoplessTurnedHopefull (Ethiopia) Fri., Nov. 16, 2012 at 2:39 am EST
Dear Michell, My name tells all about waht I wanted to say. Thanks.

Comment by: nana (kampala) Thu., Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:41 pm EST
dear michelle thanks for that information infact you have given birth to ma soul once again,we need such words of encouragement,you give us this hope that even tomorrow we will get cured.be bless'd michell