My Perspective of PrEP (Truvada) as a Method to Prevent HIV Infection

A Video Blog

November 6, 2012

This article was cross-posted from "A Girl Like Me," a program of The Well Project.

Below is my new bilingual video blog and my perspective of PrEP (Truvada) as prevention for HIV. I discuss why I am on the fence about it and the possible dangers of this FDA-approved method ... in my humble opinion.

Este es mi nuevo video blog bilingue: PrEP (Truvada) como metodo para la prevencion del VIH. Esta es mi perspectiva y porque estoy mas bien en contra de ese metodo y los peligros que en mi humilde opinion esta forma de prevencion traeria.

Send Maria an email.

Get email notifications every time this blog is updated.

This article was provided by The Well Project. Visit The Well Project's Web site to learn more about their resources and initiatives for women living with HIV. The Well Project shares its content with TheBody.com to ensure all people have access to the highest quality treatment information available. The Well Project receives no advertising revenue from TheBody.com or the advertisers on this site. No advertiser on this site has any editorial input into The Well Project's content.

More News and Research on HIV Medications for HIV Prevention

Comment by: Richard B (Tel,+254728904116 /+256774809729 Nairobi. Kenya) Wed., Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:01 am EST
Thank you for all you have tried to inform us about treatment . safe sex . therapy etc, i have been getting my therapy medicines at Dreams Center . Langata. Nairobi, And i have seen good developments also all have been doing well and i am glad on their good mercy services which they offer free of charge including to help those who are week to get little to feed, I went for the test to the Dream center at Langata when i was week and very sick . After finding me HIV positive and their good counseling i was advised to start the therapy which did up to date and i have totally recovered but my question is that, if there is any other alternative short period therapy better than this where i am required to take the medicine everyday. Lastly what advise would you give me as i had lost my wife and i feel like having another one due to the hard ship i am going through alone, hope any body needs a partner in life and hope to hear from you with positive response. Thanks

Comment by: Nikolay (Russia) Sun., Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:44 am EST
You are so cool
Comment by: Maria (Miami) Fri., Nov. 23, 2012 at 4:50 pm EST
Ty Nikolay

love and light

Comment by: Paul Y. (Philadelphia PA) Fri., Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:58 am EST
People with high risk life styles such as sex workers and IDU's can benefit from PrEP. As a HIV Tester working with the IDU community I see people who could benefit from PrEP every day and who are willing to take an Anti-HIV medication everyday to lower there chances for contracting HIV. One way that PrEP could help is with female sex workers who are often pressured into not using condoms.Also in light of the difficulty in getting IDU couples from sharing injection equipment it can offer benefit as well.Maria I suggest you consider doing some volunteer work with a needle exchange program or out reach with sex workers. I believe the experience would give you a different perspective on the need of PrEP as a prevention tool.
Comment by: Maria (Miami) Fri., Nov. 16, 2012 at 6:08 pm EST
I understand this completely ..their are some places in the world including here that people dont have the option to use a condom ..we muct really educate everyone..these meds are highly toxic and even pos people are not adherent because if the side effects. I have been an HIV educator and a tester for 12 years and I know some people are very high risk! I have never worked with IV drug users..but studies show that people that are drug users most likely wont be adherent to these poisons that save our lives. if it works for them I am all for it. I am very vocal! this is a business. I wish it was like the day after pill :/ I am getting emails from all over of people that used prep and are having serious toxicity and health problems and they only used it for 30 days ..I hope the cure comes soon.. love and light

Comment by: Ron (Los Angeles, CA) Thu., Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:03 pm EST
As one who has also been positive for over 20 years but who just started medication (Truvada/Isentress) it's important to differentiate between the side effects of the earlier meds (significant) vis-a-vie the recent meds. Truvada - for all practical purposes and for the majority of patients, is essentially side-effect free, really. So might your perspective be clouded by the side-effects of the earlier meds? Truvada - stringently adhered to, and taken as a preventitive - given it's side effect profile, sounds reasonable. Just sayin'. :) I never would have taken the old meds. I let myself almost DIE before I allowed any meds. And the result: I wasted 10 years of half-living not taking Truvada-Isentress when I could have had full. As a preventive, it seems Truvada would have strikingly compelling usage - like the morning after pill but ONLY if it isn't taken whimsically. Tall order, agreed.
Comment by: Maria (Miami) Fri., Nov. 16, 2012 at 6:03 pm EST
I feel you on this Ron..I refused meds when I was diagnosed in 1991 for 10 years..It just seems to me that if people that are already infected are not adherent ..I can only imagine people that are negative. I get letters all the time of people that took prep and are dealing with harsh side effects and have serious complications..we have no choice( we are poz ) the best way for me is using a condom and get tested with your partner :0) now it is an individual choice if someone wants to put toxic meds in their system...

love and light

Time to Show My Face and Take the Stigma Away

Maria T. Mejia

Maria T. Mejia

I am a 37-year-old Colombian female who lives in Miami, Florida. I've been positive for 20 years. Although almost all my life I've been in long-term relationships with HIV-negative men, I am happily married to a woman who is wonderful and caring. We have been together almost three years and she is HIV negative. I have no children but we will look into having! I am an activist, a peer educator, a caregiver. I volunteered for the Red Cross in education for the Hispanic HIV community and also the American community. I was a pre- and post-test counselor. I have spoken in many conferences and done a lot of outreach in the community, especially in the schools for prevention and education. It is part of my everyday life to educate everyone I can on this subject. Being HIV positive is nothing to be ashamed about! We are strong women, and we will take away all the stigmas slowly but we have to open up.

Friend Maria on Facebook

Read more blogs by women living with HIV/AIDS at "A Girl Like Me"

A Girl Like Me