Print this page    •   Back to Web version of article

U.S. News
Looking for HIV/AIDS Prevention and Service Providers? There's an App for That

October 31, 2012

Aisha Moore, communications director for, describes the HIV/AIDS Prevention & Service Provider Locator -- a location-based search tool that allows the user to search for the following service providers near their current location: HIV testing, housing assistance, health centers, Ryan White HIV care, mental health, substance abuse, and family planning. She explains that since its launch in June 2010 by members of the Federal HIV/AIDS Web Council, the locator has gone from the Web to a widget, a mobile, Facebook, and API format, and is now available as an app for iPhone and iPad. A user with an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch can download and use the free app.

The blog provides details of how to download the app and how it works, new features that are not available on the Web or mobile versions, and the type of data that can be retrieved. Moore encourages users to download the app, spread the word to friends, and take action. She notes that the app is especially recommended for use by social workers, outreach workers, and others who link people to services. Users who do not have an iPhone should visit to use the Web or mobile version. To send feedback, comments, or suggestions a user can select the app's feedback button.

Back to other news for October 2012

Excerpted from:
10.30.2012; Aisha Moore

This article was provided by CDC National Prevention Information Network. It is a part of the publication CDC HIV/Hepatitis/STD/TB Prevention News Update. You can find this article online by typing this address into your Web browser:

General Disclaimer: is designed for educational purposes only and is not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services. The information provided through should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or a disease. It is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a health problem, consult your health care provider.