Print this page    •   Back to Web version of article

We Stand With Wallace: Silver Medal Olympian Reveals He's HIV Positive

By Sunny Bjerk

August 8, 2012

Ji Wallace. Image courtesy of

Image courtesy of

In an attempt to meet you all where you're at -- namely, obsessed with the Olympics, I have an addendum to a previous story I posted.

Last week in "Competitors and Condoms," I noted that as far as I knew, no Olympian had come out as HIV-positive. Well, that all changed overnight as we all awoke to the news that Ji Wallace, Australian Olympian trampolinist, came out as HIV-positive in a letter to the Star Observer, an Australian daily newspaper.

Wallace, who won the silver medal in the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney, said he was inspired to reveal his positive status after watching this interview with CNN's Piers Morgan and Greg Louganis, who famously came out as gay and HIV-positive in the mid-90s. And here's a tiny bit of corporate gossip for you: after he came out as positive, all of Louganis's sponsors dropped him except for Speedo.

As far as I can tell, Wallace's statement has been met with nothing but positive responses and shouts of adoration and support, though Wallace's own Twitter feed has not been updated since May 2011.

Wallace's decision to publicly reveal his HIV-status serves as a starting point for other athletes, professional or not, gay or otherwise, to take a stand against homophobia and fight against HIV stigma and discrimination. We stand with you, Ji Wallace.

This article was provided by Housing Works. It is a part of the publication Housing Works AIDS Issues Update. You can find this article online by typing this address into your Web browser:

General Disclaimer: is designed for educational purposes only and is not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services. The information provided through should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or a disease. It is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a health problem, consult your health care provider.