STIs: What Role Do They Play in HIV Transmission?
- Ward H, Rönn M. Contribution of sexually transmitted infections to the sexual transmission of HIV. Current Opinion in HIV and AIDS. 2010 Jul;5(4):305-10.
- Johnson LF, Lewis DA. The effect of genital tract infections on HIV-1 shedding in the genital tract: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Sexually Transmitted Diseases. 2008 Nov;35(11):946-59.
- Quinn TC, Wawer MJ, Sewankambo N et al. Viral load and heterosexual transmission of human immunodeficiency virus type 1. Rakai Project Study Group. The New England Journal of Medicine. 2000 Mar 30;342(13):921-9.
- Government of Canada Public Health Agency of Canada. What's new -- hepatitis C and sexually transmitted infections surveillance & epidemiology -- Public Health Agency of Canada [Internet]. 2006 Aug 14 [cited 2011 Nov 10].
- Kalichman SC, Pellowski J, Turner C. Prevalence of sexually transmitted co-infections in people living with HIV/AIDS: systematic review with implications for using HIV treatments for prevention. Sexually Transmitted Infections. 2011 Apr;87(3):183-90.
- Romanowski B, Myziuk LN, Walmsley SL et al. Seroprevalence and risk factors for herpes simplex virus infection in a population of HIV-infected patients in Canada. Sexually Transmitted Diseases. 2009 Mar;36(3):165-9.
- Leber A, MacPherson P, Lee BC. Epidemiology of infectious syphilis in Ottawa. Recurring themes revisited. The Canadian Journal of Public Health. 2008 Oct;99(5):401-5.
- Montaner JSG, Lima VD, Barrios R et al. Association of highly active antiretroviral therapy coverage, population viral load, and yearly new HIV diagnoses in British Columbia, Canada: a population-based study. The Lancet. 2010 Aug 14;376(9740):532-9.
- Kalichman SC, Cherry C, White D et al. The Achilles' heel of HIV treatment for prevention: history of sexually transmitted coinfections among people living with HIV/AIDS receiving antiretroviral therapies. Journal of the International Association of Physicians in AIDS Care (JIAPAC) [Internet]. 2011 Oct 11 [cited 2011 Nov 1].
- Ng BE, Butler LM, Horvath T, Rutherford GW. Population-based biomedical sexually transmitted infection control interventions for reducing HIV infection. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2011;(3):CD001220.
- Barnabas RV, Wasserheit JN. Riddle of the sphinx revisited: the role of STDs in HIV prevention. Sexually Transmitted Diseases. 2009 Jun;36:365-7.
- Gray RH, Wawer MJ. Reassessing the hypothesis on STI control for HIV prevention. The Lancet. 21;371(9630):2064-5.
- Mayer KH, Venkatesh KK. Interactions of HIV, other sexually transmitted diseases, and genital tract inflammation facilitating local pathogen transmission and acquisition. American Journal of Reproductive Immunology. 2011 Mar;65(3):308-16.
- Grosskurth H, Mosha F, Todd J et al. Impact of improved treatment of sexually transmitted diseases on HIV infection in rural Tanzania: randomised controlled trial. The Lancet. 1995 Aug 26;346(8974):530-6.
- Kamali A, Quigley M, Nakiyingi J et al. Syndromic management of sexually-transmitted infections and behaviour change interventions on transmission of HIV-1 in rural Uganda: a community randomised trial. The Lancet. 2003 Feb 22;361(9358):645-52.
- Gregson S, Adamson S, Papaya S et al. Impact and process evaluation of integrated community and clinic-based HIV-1 control: a cluster-randomised trial in eastern Zimbabwe. PLoS Medicine. 2007 Mar 27;4(3):e102.
- Kaul R, Kimani J, Nagelkerke NJ et al. Monthly antibiotic chemoprophylaxis and incidence of sexually transmitted infections and HIV-1 infection in Kenyan sex workers: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2004 Jun 2;291(21):2555-62.
- Wawer MJ, Sewankambo NK, Serwadda D et al. Control of sexually transmitted diseases for AIDS prevention in Uganda: a randomised community trial. Rakai Project Study Group. The Lancet. 1999 Feb 13;353(9152):525-35.
- Watson-Jones D, Weiss HA, Rusizoka M et al. Effect of herpes simplex suppression on incidence of HIV among women in Tanzania. The New England Journal of Medicine. 2008 Apr 10;358(15):1560-71.
- Celum C, Wald A, Hughes J et al. Effect of aciclovir on HIV-1 acquisition in herpes simplex virus 2 seropositive women and men who have sex with men: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. The Lancet. 2008 Jun 21;371(9630):2109-19.
No comments have been made.
Add Your Comment:
(Please note: Your name and comment will be public, and may even show up in
Internet search results. Be careful when providing personal information! Before
adding your comment, please read TheBody.com's Comment Policy