Print this page    •   Back to Web version of article

Tell Your Representative to Support Cure for AIDS Act!

August 1, 2012

On July 25, Congressman James Himes (D-CT) introduced the Cure for AIDS Act of 2012 (H.R.6187). The bill, which was co-sponsored by Congresswoman Barbara Lee (D-CA), would direct an additional $100 million to research specifically aimed at finding a cure for AIDS. Contact your representative TODAY and tell them to co-sponsor the Cure for AIDS Act!

Take Action Today >

The U.S spends billions of dollars annually screening and caring for individuals living with HIV or AIDS, but our investment in cure research is miniscule by contrast. According to the AIDS Policy Project, the National Institutes of Health only spends about 3 percent of its AIDS research budget on identifying a cure. That amounts to a paltry $60 million in 2011.

While new biomedical interventions like treatment as prevention and pre-exposure prophylaxis provide exciting new tools in slowing the spread of HIV, we will never fully defeat this disease until we've found a cure. Even with a vaccine, there are another 1.2 million people already living with HIV or AIDS in the U.S. -- and another 33 million across the globe. We owe it to them to find a cure.

The Cure for AIDS Act would direct much needed resources to this effort at a time when the scientific community is especially hopeful that a cure is within reach. Tell your Congressman to support this bill TODAY!!

Click the button below to email your representative!

Take Action Today >

Or you can CLICK HERE to call your Congressman!

This article was provided by National Minority AIDS Council. You can find this article online by typing this address into your Web browser:

General Disclaimer: is designed for educational purposes only and is not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services. The information provided through should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or a disease. It is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a health problem, consult your health care provider.