Advice on Aging Well With HIV

Helen Turner Goldenberg, 65, Dallas, Texas; Diagnosed in 1984

Helen Turner Goldenberg, 65, Dallas, Texas; Diagnosed in 1984

Be absolutely positively positive and proactive in the management of your health. As a 28-year HIV survivor, HIV advocate/activist, peer educator, certified public speaker, member of the Ryan White planning council in Dallas and evangelist (my faith in God gave me hope), I believe Jesus Christ can make the difference in your lives too. I have come a very long way with struggles of chronic pain, fear, feelings of inadequacy, stigma, a 14-day hostage situation, depression, agoraphobia, macular degeneration, osteoporosis, neuropathy, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, emphysema, other lung issues, obesity and much more.

I therefore strongly advise that you educate yourselves and make sure you have appropriate support. Apply sound health principles when it comes to diet, exercise, navigating the health care system and following a proper medication regimen because there may be consequences tomorrow for the health decisions you make today. Remember, you are greater than AIDS!

This article was provided by
More on Aging & HIV

Comment by: wayne (UK) Mon., Nov. 2, 2015 at 5:19 am EST
well after 10 years on medication, I got myofibrosarcoma, a rare cancer, wonder if they are related

Comment by: Billy (NC) Thu., Mar. 26, 2015 at 6:48 pm EDT
Heck, I am older than 3/4 of the featured people. I was also living with HepC and I just got rid of that! Life is good.

Comment by: Lucie Vogel (big spring Tx) Wed., Mar. 25, 2015 at 4:50 am EDT
A support network is vital to keeping a positive optimistic and thankful as well as hopeful outlook on life.Because of my faith in believing that this is not a curse but a blessing in disguise that I was blessed with my beautiful baby girl at 13yrs positive who is still negative and always will be at age 7.I just turned 50 and by grace am still going strong,also because I am constantly touched by others in my life who have more serious and aggressive illnesses and handicaps and I am amazed everyday and grateful that my family can be used to give hope to those who need to know and see that life that God given life by grace to still be able to bring forth a healthy life is a mind blowing concept,is proof that there is an all powerful and loving God who is in the business of making beauty from the ashes and using others to show His love for us by their love and support they show us.Thank you all for your tips and your bravery and fearlessness in sharing your stories publicly

Comment by: lisa (kampala) Thu., Oct. 18, 2012 at 4:03 pm EDT
thank you millicent actually you have even raisd my hopes,

Comment by: Rajiv (India) Wed., Oct. 17, 2012 at 2:43 am EDT
i m 25 y old recently diagnosed as H since then i m depressd and most o the time i starts weeping. i searched on internet and heard from people that HIV IS NOT CURABLE & ends only with the death of patient.
if Timothy Brown a Berlin patient can be cured(HIV Neg.)why can't other patient.
i wanna know how long will it take when this dreaded disease able to cure permanently.
why medical scientist not applying that treatment or therapy which took by Timothy Brown.
i wanna know which that therapy was actually.
Thanks & Regards
Rajiv hoping for life.
Comment by: Gustavo (Oakland, CA) Mon., Nov. 25, 2013 at 4:23 pm EST
Rajiv. Be positive. This is the only way to survive and move on in our lives. I got diagnosed HIV+ just one month ago. I am learning from other how they survived. Be positive, learn about the virus and how we and our doctors can make a plan to control it. Hope you are well now. God bless your way. Gustavo.