Table of Contents
The International AIDS Conference is right around the corner and we have put together a list of must-do activities in DC, what to do before you leave, and a packing list to make sure you have everything you need for your big week in Washington, DC.
Before you get on that plane, train, bus or in that automobile to the nation's capitol make sure to use the PWN Packing List to be prepared and ready for action!
Before you leave for D.C.:
- Join PWN's AIDS 2012 listserv for breaking news and exciting updates, including direct action updates, at the conference: find it at email@example.com or email: firstname.lastname@example.org to join.
- Text ALLWOMEN to 68398. Join PWN's text message list for breaking news onsite at the conference! There is no cost to join but your regular text message rates apply.
- Get some rest, get your nails done, hit the spa, spend time with the grandkids, etc. The conference will be busy morning to night! Take care of yourself before you hit the ground in DC.
- Download the Women Delegates Guide here and print it to read on the plane.
- Read PWN's AIDS 2012 manifesto and blueprint for action
- Contact us if you want to volunteer at the conference! E-mail email@example.com to sign up for volunteer slots at IAC.
What to Bring:
- Money or credit card for checked baggage fees since most airlines charge at least $25 per checked bag.
- Your government-issued ID! You will need it to fly and you may need it during registration.
- Comfortable walking shoes, including tennis shoes or sneakers are a must. You will be covering a lot of ground every day inside the Convention Center and at events off-site.
- Clothing for hot temperatures. Washington DC in July is hot and humid! Natural fibers are recommended to help your skin breathe.
- A shawl or wrap for when you are inside the conference. There is sure to be very powerful air conditioning.
- Your PWN T-shirt! Don't have one? We will be selling them at PWN's Pre-Conference, the women's reception, and wherever else we can!
- Panties of all shapes and sizes to contribute to the Women's Networking Zone (WNZ) Panty Line. Part of the Global Village, the WNZ is sure to be the highlight of the conference. Building on a tradition that started at previous conferences, the WNZ will display panties and bras in all sizes and shapes as an art installation throughout the conference, and as part of a banner for the Women's Mobilization. Lingerie will be donated to women's organizations around the world after the conference.
- A couple of outfits appropriate for evening receptions or business meetings.
- All your hot pink and black clothes. PWN colors, of course!
- An umbrella to shield you from summer rainstorms and from the hot sun.
- Sunscreen to protect your skin from the sun, especially during the Women's Mobilization Tuesday July 24th. We will be marching on the National Mall for the We Can End AIDS march!
- Your meds! Bring 2-3 days extra just in case. Pack all medications in your carryon luggage if you are flying so you will have them on you just in case your checked baggage gets lost.
- Ibuprofen or aspirin for sore muscles and headaches.
- Vitamins to keep your energy and immune system boosted.
- Turquoise cloth for Women Making Waves mobilization on Tuesday July 24th. There will be thousands of women at the mobilization carrying turquoise cloths to simulate the waves we will be making at the conference! Meet outside the Global Village at 9th and Massachusetts Avenue at 11:30am Tuesday July 24th.
- A camera if you have one to document this once-in-a-lifetime event. And, what if Barack or Michelle show up? Get a disposable just in case!
- A credit card if you have one for emergencies.
- A written list of 2-3 emergency contacts just in case you need them. Share them with a friend.
- Power cords. If you're bringing any electronics (cellphone, laptop computer, camera, iPod) -- don't forget your power cords!!!
- A book. Just kidding! You probably won't have time to read. If you're reading, there will be plenty of conference materials to keep you busy J
PWN's day-by-day guide (where to find us)!!!
Every day: We'll be at the Women's Networking Zone in the Global Village hanging out, volunteering, and networking with women from around the world!
We'll also be in the Exhibit Hall! PWN and the 30 for 30 Campaign are sharing an exhibit booth. Come visit! Check out PWN's Count Me In! photo exhibit and campaign, our recently released HIV Prevention policy brief, and a bumper sticker! Pick up a red scarf and 30 for 30's new issue briefs, including a timely new release on the Affordable Care Act for Women!
Saturday July 21st:
Sunday July 22nd: Join us at March on Washington at 2pm, then come hang out in the Women's Networking Zone to help out with setup. Then we'll be flyering outside the opening plenary. Look for PWN's sexy pink and black Tshirts!
Monday July 23rd:
- 8:45am-10:30 am Morning plenary will feature U.S. speaker Phill Wilson from the Black AIDS Institute. BAI has been PWN's partner in crime on organizing for this conference for the past two years. This will be a fantastic and informative plenary!
- PWN's press conference: 10am to 10:45am, Media Center Press Conference Room 3, From the Shadows -- Women, Sex HIV, and Violence: A Report on How Trauma Drives the HIV Epidemic. Featuring PWNers Naina Khanna, Gina Brown, and Kat Griffith, original data from Eddy Machtinger (UCSF), new groundbreaking Women's Interagency Health Study science from Kathleen Weber and Dr. Mardge Cohen, and federal government officials to be announced!
- 2:30-6:00pm PWN workshop: Speak Up! How to Go Viral -- Safely! A training on using your voice for change in the media organized by PWNer Sonia Rastogi.
Tuesday July 24th:
- 10am to 10:45am: 30 for 30 Campaign press conference in Media Center Press Conference Room 1 titled Not Without Women featuring PWNer Waheedah Shabazz-El.
- 10-11am: Poz community gathering before the We Can End AIDS mobilization
- 11:30am-12pm: Assemble for the Women Making Waves Mobilization We'll be meeting outside the Global Village at 9th and Massachusetts Avenue
Wednesday July 25th:
- 8:45am-10:30am Morning plenary will feature PWN founding member Linda Scruggs. Come support Linda as she makes women count!
- 11am-12:30pm Get a Test, Risk Arrest session on HIV criminalization featuring PWNer Brook Kelly.
Thursday July 26th:
6:30-8:30pm Choice Matters: Expanding the ARV-based prevention mix for Women AIDS 2012 satellite session featuring PWNers Dawn Averitt Bridge and Naina Khanna.