Disconnected: Incarceration Cuts You Off From Your Social Network -- and HIV Thrives on That
- Spaulding AC, Seals RM, Page MJ, Brzozowski AK, Rhodes W, Hammett TM. HIV/AIDS among inmates of and releasees from US correctional facilities, 2006: declining share of epidemic but persistent public health opportunity. PLoS One. 2009;4 (11):e7558.
- Khan MR, Wohl DA, Weir SS, et al. Incarceration and risky sexual partnerships in a southern US city. J Urban Health. 2008;85 (1):100-13.
- Khan MR, Miller WC, Schoenbach VJ, et al. Timing and duration of incarceration and high-risk sexual partnerships among African Americans in North Carolina. Ann Epidemiol. 2008;18 (5):403-10.
- Epperson M, El-Bassel N, Gilbert L, Orellana ER, Chang M. Increased HIV Risk Associated with Criminal Justice Involvement among Men on Methadone. AIDS Behav. 2008;12 (1):51-7.
- Khan MR, Doherty IA, Schoenbach VJ, Taylor EM, Epperson MW, Adimora AA. Incarceration and high-risk sex partnerships among men in the United States. J Urban Health. 2009;86 (4):584-601.
- Khan MR, Epperson MW, Mateu-Gelabert P, Bolyard M, Sandoval M, Friedman SR. Incarceration, sex with an STI- or HIV-infected partner, and infection with an STI or HIV in Bushwick, Brooklyn, NY: a social network perspective. Am J Public Health. 2011;101 (6):1110-7.
- Epperson MW, Khan MR, El-Bassel N, Wu E, Gilbert L. A Longitudinal Study of Incarceration and HIV Risk Among Methadone Maintained Men and Their Primary Female Partners. AIDS Behav. 2011;15 (2):347-55.
- Haley D, Scheyett A, Golin C, et al. BRIGHT Project Qualitative Substudy: Perceptions of Release Among Incarcerated HIV-Infected Persons and Implications for Practice. XVI International AIDS Conference 2006. Toronto, Canada, 2006.
- Adimora AA, Schoenbach VJ, Bonas DM, Martinson FE, Donaldson KH, Stancil TR. Concurrent sexual partnerships among women in the United States. Epidemiology. 2002;13 (3):320-7.
- Adimora AA, Schoenbach VJ, Doherty I. Concurrent sexual partnership among men in the US. Am J Public Health. 2007;97:2230-7.
- Morrow KM. HIV, STD, and hepatitis risk behaviors of young men before and after incarceration. AIDS Care. 2009;21 (2):235-43.
- Grinstead OA, Faigeles B, Comfort M, et al. HIV, STD, and hepatitis risk to primary female partners of men being released from prison. Women Health. 2005;41 (2):63-80.
- Grinstead O, Zack B, Faigeles B. Reducing postrelease risk behavior among HIV seropositive prison inmates: the health promotion program. AIDS Educ Prev. 2001;13 (2):109-19.
- Khan MR, Behrend L, Adimora AA, Weir SS, White BL, Wohl DA. Dissolution of primary intimate relationships during incarceration and implications for post-release HIV transmission. J Urban Health. 2011; 88 (2):365-75.
- Khan MR, Behrend L, Adimora AA, Weir SS, Tisdale C, Wohl DA. Dissolution of primary intimate relationships during incarceration and associations with post-release STI/HIV risk behavior in a Southeastern city. 2011; Sex Transm Dis. 38 (1):43-7.
- Travis J, Cincotta E, Solomon AL. Families Left Behind: The Hidden Costs of Incarceration and Reentry. Washington, DC: Urban Institute Justice Policy Center, 2003.
- Comfort M, Grinstead O, McCartney K, Bourgois P, Knight K. "You Can't Do Nothing in This Damn Place": Sex and Intimacy Among Couples With an Incarcerated Male Partner. The Journal of Sex Research. 2005;42 (1):3-12.
- Browning S, Miller S, Lisa M. Criminal Incarceration Dividing the Ties That Bind: Black Men and Their Families. Journal of African American Men. 2001;6 (1):87-102.
- Visher C, La Vigne NG, Travis J. Returning Home: Understanding the Challenges of Prisoner Reentry, Maryland Pilot Study: Findings from Baltimore. Washington, DC: Urban Institute Justice Policy Center, 2004.
- Rindfuss R, Stephen EH. Marital noncohabitation: separation does not make the heart grow fonder. Journal of Marriage and the Family. 1990;52 (1):259-70.
- Rao U, Daley SE, Hammen C. Relationship between depression and substance use disorders in adolescent women during the transition to adulthood. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2000;39 (2):215-22.
- Mandell W, Kim J, Latkin C, Suh T. Depressive symptoms, drug network, and their synergistic effect on needle-sharing behavior among street injection drug users. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 1999;25 (1):117-27.
- Hawkins WE, Latkin C, Hawkins MJ, Chowdury D. Depressive symptoms and HIV-risk behavior in inner-city users of drug injections. Psychol Rep. 1998;82 (1):137-8.
- Mueser KT, Drake RE, Wallach MA. Dual diagnosis: a review of etiological theories. Addict Behav. 1998;23 (6):717-34.
- Brooner RK, King VL, Kidorf M, Schmidt CW, Jr., Bigelow GE. Psychiatric and substance use comorbidity among treatment-seeking opioid abusers. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1997;54 (1):71-80.
- Castillo Mezzich A, Tarter RE, Giancola PR, Lu S, Kirisci L, Parks S. Substance use and risky sexual behavior in female adolescents. Drug Alcohol Depend. 1997;44 (2-3):157-66.
- Dinwiddie SH. Characteristics of injection drug users derived from a large family study of alcoholism. Compr Psychiatry. 1997;38 (4):218-29.
- Khantzian EJ. The self-medication hypothesis of substance use disorders: a reconsideration and recent applications. Harv Rev Psychiatry. 1997;4 (5):231-44.
- Kalichman SC, Kelly JA, Johnson JR, Bulto M. Factors associated with risk for HIV infection among chronic mentally ill adults. Am J Psychiatry. 1994;151 (2):221-7.
- Hasin DS, Glick H. Depressive symptoms and DSM-III-R alcohol dependence: general population results. Addiction. 1993;88 (10):1431-6.
- Latkin CA, Mandell W. Depression as an antecedent of frequency of intravenous drug use in an urban, nontreatment sample. Int J Addict. 1993;28 (14):1601-12.
- Stephens RS, Roffman RA, Simpson EE. Adult marijuana users seeking treatment. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1993;61 (6):1100-4.
- Rounsaville BJ, Anton SF, Carroll K, Budde D, Prusoff BA, Gawin F. Psychiatric diagnoses of treatment-seeking cocaine abusers. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1991;48 (1):43-51.
- Regier DA, Farmer ME, Rae DS, et al. Comorbidity of mental disorders with alcohol and other drug abuse. Results from the Epidemiologic Catchment Area (ECA) Study. JAMA. 1990;264 (19):2511-8.
- Ross HE, Glaser FB, Germanson T. The prevalence of psychiatric disorders in patients with alcohol and other drug problems. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1988;45 (11):1023-31.
- Rounsaville BJ, Weissman MM, Crits-Christoph K, Wilber C, Kleber H. Diagnosis and symptoms of depression in opiate addicts. Course and relationship to treatment outcome. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1982;39 (2):151-6.
- Ramrakha S, Caspi A, Dickson N, Moffitt TE, Paul C. Psychiatric disorders and risky sexual behaviour in young adulthood: cross sectional study in birth cohort. BMJ. 2000;321 (7256):263-6.
- Williams CT, Latkin CA. The role of depressive symptoms in predicting sex with multiple and high-risk partners. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2005;38 (1):69-73.
- Khan MR, Kaufman JS, Pence BW, et al. Depression, sexually transmitted infection, and sexual risk behavior among young adults in the United States. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2009;163 (7):644-52.
- Hutton HE, Lyketsos CG, Zenilman JM, Thompson RE, Erbelding EJ. Depression and HIV risk behaviors among patients in a sexually transmitted disease clinic. Am J Psychiatry. 2004;161 (5):912-4.
- Castle DJ. Anxiety and substance use: layers of complexity. Expert Rev Neurother. 2008;8 (3):493-501.
- Kessler RC, Nelson CB, McGonagle KA, Edlund MJ, Frank RG, Leaf PJ. The epidemiology of co-occurring addictive and mental disorders: implications for prevention and service utilization. Am J Orthopsychiatry. 1996;66 (1):17-31.
- Ethier KA, Kershaw TS, Lewis JB, Milan S, Niccolai LM, Ickovics JR. Self-esteem, emotional distress and sexual behavior among adolescent females: inter-relationships and temporal effects. J Adolesc Health. 2006;38 (3):268-74.
- Mota N, Cox BJ, Enns MW, Calhoun L, Sareen J. The relationship between mental disorders, quality of life, and pregnancy: findings from a nationally representative sample. J Affect Disord. 2008;109 (3):300-4.
- Sterk CE, Theall KP, Elifson KW. The impact of emotional distress on HIV risk reduction among women. Subst Use Misuse. 2006;41 (2):157-73.
- Draine J, Wolff N. Social capital and reentry to the community from prison: Rutgers University, 2009.
- Simpson JA. The dissolution of romantic relationships: factors involved in relationship stability and emotional distress. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 1987;53 (4):683-92.
- Kawachi I, Berkman LF. Social ties and mental health. J Urban Health. 2001;78 (3):458-67.
- Freudenberg N. Jails, prisons, and the health of urban populations: a review of the impact of the correctional system on community health. J Urban Health. 2001;78 (2):214-35.
- Moore J. Bearing the burden: how incarceration weakens inner-city communities. In: Justice VIo (ed). The Unintended Consequences of Incarceration. New York: Vera Institute of Justice, 1996.
- Friedman SR, Bolyard M, Mateu-Gelabert P, et al. Some data-driven reflections on priorities in AIDS network research. AIDS Behav. 2007;11 (5):641-51.
- Klovdahl AS, Potterat JJ, Woodhouse DE, Muth JB, Muth SQ, Darrow WW. Social networks and infectious disease: the Colorado Springs Study. Soc Sci Med. 1994;38 (1):79-88.
- Rothenberg RB, Woodhouse DE, Potterat JJ, Muth SQ, Darrow WW, Klovdahl AS. Social networks in disease transmission: the Colorado Springs Study. NIDA Res Monogr. 1995;151:3-19.
Got a comment on this article? Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
No comments have been made.
Add Your Comment:
(Please note: Your name and comment will be public, and may even show up in
Internet search results. Be careful when providing personal information! Before
adding your comment, please read TheBody.com's Comment Policy