Print this page    •   Back to Web version of article

U.S. News
Pennsylvania: UPenn Gets $2 Million Grant for HIV Research

May 9, 2012

The National Institutes of Health has awarded a $2 million grant to University of Pennsylvania researchers to study innovative ways to prevent chronic diseases among African-American men who have HIV. The high chronic disease risk for these men has long been known, but suitable evidence-based interventions are lacking, said study leader John B. Jemmott, PhD, a professor of communication in psychiatry at the university's Perelman School of Medicine and the Kenneth B. Clark professor of communication at the Annenberg School for Communication.

"African-American men who are infected with HIV are living longer than ever before and are now being impacted by the same chronic diseases that affect the general population of African-American men over 40," Jemmott said in a statement.

"We know that in addition to standard age-related factors, many of these chronic illnesses have behavioral components -- risk is influenced by what people do and don't do, their diet, and the amount of physical activity they get," Jemmott said. "Based on this complex intersection, we need to identify novel strategies to help these men navigate their lives in the healthiest way possible."

The chronic diseases for which these men are at risk include cardiovascular disease, cancer, and diabetes, Jemmott said.

Back to other news for May 2012

Excerpted from:
Philadelphia Tribune

This article was provided by CDC National Prevention Information Network. It is a part of the publication CDC HIV/Hepatitis/STD/TB Prevention News Update. You can find this article online by typing this address into your Web browser:

General Disclaimer: is designed for educational purposes only and is not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services. The information provided through should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or a disease. It is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a health problem, consult your health care provider.