Print this page    •   Back to Web version of article

Utah Lawmakers Pass Bill to Curb Sex Education in Schools

March 8, 2012

Under a bill that won final approval by the Legislature this week, Utah would become the first state to ban public schools from teaching contraception as a way to prevent STDs or pregnancy. In addition, the measure would bar discussion about homosexuality and other aspects human sexuality, except for materials that promote abstinence until marriage. Under the legislation, public schools could offer an abstinence-only curriculum or no sex education at all.

The bill passed mainly along party lines in both Republican-controlled chambers, with the Senate approving it in a 19-10 vote on Tuesday. The measure now advances to Gov. Gary Herbert. He is widely expected to sign it into law, though he has not taken a public stand on it. Herbert is running for re-election this year and faces a conservative nominating convention ahead of a possible primary vote in June.

The Utah Parents and Teacher Association opposes the bill, while conservative groups, including the Utah Eagle Forum, support it.

"There are no other states that ... don't allow birth control discussion at all, in the way that the Utah legislation does," said Rebecca Wind, spokesperson for the Guttmacher Institute, a sexual and reproductive health advocacy group. "So it is unique in that respect."

Back to other news for March 2012

Excerpted from:
03.07.2012; Bob Bernick

This article was provided by CDC National Prevention Information Network. It is a part of the publication CDC HIV/Hepatitis/STD/TB Prevention News Update. You can find this article online by typing this address into your Web browser:

General Disclaimer: is designed for educational purposes only and is not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services. The information provided through should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or a disease. It is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a health problem, consult your health care provider.