HIV/AIDS Resource Center for African Americans
Kai Chandler Lois Crenshaw Gary Paul Wright Fortunata Kasege Keith Green Lois Bates Greg Braxton Vanessa Austin Bernard Jackson

10 Black HIV/AIDS Advocates Who Are Making a Difference

April 2, 2012

10/11

Kimberly Y. Smith

Kimberly Y. Smith, Associate Professor of Medicine, Section of Infectious Diseases, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago

Whatever the aspect of the HIV epidemic that's in need of further exploration, you can bet that Kimberly Smith will take it upon herself to seek answers -- whether the question concerns perceptions of risk, HIV treatment in women or a host of other topics on which she's spoken and co-authored studies. She's part of a cadre of clinician/researchers (Drs. David Malebranche and Errol Fields also come to mind) that are not only keeping the HIV research community's eye on the true drivers of the epidemic, but also broadening collective understanding of HIV/AIDS among communities most affected.

Related Stories

13 Moments in Black Celebrity HIV/AIDS Activism
More HIV Activist Profiles and Personal Accounts

Comment by: ann (ct) Thu., Sep. 19, 2013 at 4:38 pm EDT
great work keep it up

Comment by: nelson (south africa) Tue., May. 28, 2013 at 3:15 am EDT
thank u very much michelle after reading your profile i was uplifted im now sure about how we should handle life after one is diagnose with hiv thanks.

Comment by: Same (Sutter Street) Mon., Aug. 13, 2012 at 7:18 pm EDT
i just find out that have HIV. i need someone to talk

Comment by: Theresa (Cincinnati) Tue., Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:11 pm EDT
I have ask myself for 15 years now, where are all the white hiv/aids advocates, mother's daughter's and grandmother's just like me living with hiv. yet to meet or run into at one of many of my 15 years of dr visits a white women just like me?

Comment by: TOM ONSONGO (NAIROBI KENYA) Wed., Jul. 4, 2012 at 3:01 am EDT
Am a man living with HIV for over 20 years that is when I knew my status. I suffered serious self stigma untill I went through treatment literacy. This changed my life for ever. Today I am a programme director of an NGO fighting HIV in kenya. Correct and accurate informatio on HIV/AIDS is key in fightin this disease.

Comment by: Shanasha Whitson (Minneapolis, Minnesota) Wed., Apr. 18, 2012 at 3:24 pm EDT
There are 5, 344.861 people in MN, 5.2 % are black but we make up 33% of people infected in Minnesota. As a medical case manager at The Minneapolis Urban League I offer case management for people of color who are positive. We ofer an array of service that keep people in care and get people connected to services. We have got to take back our power and ensure our communities health and wellness.

Comment by: Darriane Martin (Dallas, TX) Tue., Apr. 17, 2012 at 4:52 pm EDT
Michelle, I am so proud of you and happy that you are my colleague in this fight. Keep you the great work!!!

Comment by: Teresa Sullivan (Philadelphia) Mon., Apr. 9, 2012 at 9:34 am EDT
Congrats Brook Kelly, you deserve to be honored and the PWN is grateful to have you as a ally for women living with HIV/AIDS. Your ROCK!

Thanks for making a different in my life.

Teresa Sullivan
PWN Steering Committee member

Comment by: Waheedah Shabazz-El (Phila Pa) Fri., Apr. 6, 2012 at 3:23 pm EDT
Congratulations Brook,

You are a beacon of hope during a time when our own governments would turn this health crisis into a crime and the stricken individuals into criminals.
I wish great success and happiness.

Comment by: Robin Brennan, DrPH (Philadelphia, Pa) Tue., Apr. 3, 2012 at 4:02 pm EDT
Michael Everett is an empowering leader and human rights advocate who is truly making a difference. His dedication and compassion are inspiring.

Comment by: Gigi Green (Nemacolin PA) Tue., Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:37 pm EDT
Angela Green is my sister. She is a very special person who makes a difference in many lives. I am so glad that she is being recognized for the wonderful woman that she is.