Alternative Treatments I Did for First 10 Years Without HIV Meds and What I'm Doing Now

A Video Blog

December 20, 2011

Please see my video blog about what alternative treatments I did for the first 10 years without HIV medicine, and what I have been doing for the past 11 years -- combining alternative treatment and HIV medicine:

Haz clic aquí para ver este vídeo en español.

Send Maria an email.

Get email notifications every time this blog is updated.

This article was provided by The Well Project. Visit The Well Project's Web site to learn more about their resources and initiatives for women living with HIV. The Well Project shares its content with TheBody.com to ensure all people have access to the highest quality treatment information available. The Well Project receives no advertising revenue from TheBody.com or the advertisers on this site. No advertiser on this site has any editorial input into The Well Project's content.

More Interviews and Views on Alternative Medicine and HIV/AIDS
Advertisement:
Find out how a Walgreens specially trained pharmacist can help you

Comment by: Vaughn Ripley (Brunswick, MD) Sun., Jan. 22, 2012 at 8:40 pm EST
Great video post. I have been taking Omega-3 for many years. I also take vitamins and other natural supplements along with my cocktail of drugs. I think that good nutrition and supplements are a key for me still being here. You can see more about my other life-balance tools at my personal blog http://hivlongevity.com

Thank you for such a good post!
Comment by: Maria (Miami) Wed., Feb. 15, 2012 at 4:13 pm EST
I am glad you enjoyed

Comment by: Eric (New York, NY) Sun., Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:50 am EST
Be sure to have yur liver enzymes checked before beginning a regimen of supplements to either complement or substitute your drug therapy. You could cause your liver to enlarge, which is called drug-induced hepatitis. I was supplementing with green tea extract; brazil nuts for selenium; L-glutamine; NAC; Udo's Oil with Omega 3,6,9 oils; maitake mushroom; vitamin D; vitamin C; Stress B complex; carnitine; and CoQ20. My liver enzymes shot up to AST 120 and ALT 320. Normal is AST 40 and ALT 60! I've stopped the supplements, and so far, the numbers have dropped to AST 70 and ALT 188 within a month. Be careful. If I didn't get monitored as often as I do, it could have led to liver failure.
Comment by: Maria (Mejia) Tue., Jan. 17, 2012 at 11:29 am EST
Hello Eric and Ty for your suggestions..actually when I recently changed regimen to Atripla my liver enzymes went up a little..I made a vlog about it and its here in Thebody.com ( when your labs are not normal) but as my body adapted they went back down...a few months later into this treatment my doctor and I realized that I had a bacterial infection and a real bad cold when I got tested...so this is what probably elevated them a little.what you say is very important and I always make sure I keep my eye on all my organs.

Love and Light

p.s

I have started to juice now :)

Comment by: maria mejia (miami) Mon., Jan. 9, 2012 at 10:42 pm EST
Ty for finding interesting..I just added some new natural supplements to my daily life today! love and light

Comment by: Anonymous (Los Angeles, CA) Thu., Jan. 5, 2012 at 5:55 pm EST
Interesting video. I take Omega 3's, eat brazil nuts daily, and vit c + d. Try to space these out a few hours away from my meds.

Time to Show My Face and Take the Stigma Away

Maria T. Mejia

Maria T. Mejia

I am a 37-year-old Colombian female who lives in Miami, Florida. I've been positive for 20 years. Although almost all my life I've been in long-term relationships with HIV-negative men, I am happily married to a woman who is wonderful and caring. We have been together almost three years and she is HIV negative. I have no children but we will look into having! I am an activist, a peer educator, a caregiver. I volunteered for the Red Cross in education for the Hispanic HIV community and also the American community. I was a pre- and post-test counselor. I have spoken in many conferences and done a lot of outreach in the community, especially in the schools for prevention and education. It is part of my everyday life to educate everyone I can on this subject. Being HIV positive is nothing to be ashamed about! We are strong women, and we will take away all the stigmas slowly but we have to open up.

Friend Maria on Facebook

Read more blogs by women living with HIV/AIDS at "A Girl Like Me"

A Girl Like Me