Top 10 HIV/AIDS-Related Clinical Developments of 2011
December 1, 2011
It was a busy year in which the outlines of the challenges we face in finally containing the HIV epidemic became brighter. At the same time, we also saw that creative use of our therapies can make a huge impact in both treatment and prevention. The limitations of our biologicals -- be they for treating HIV, preventing new infections or, even, curing HCV -- rely on patient buy-in and support. Changing behavior is hard (if it was easy, we would be spending millions on condoms, rather than Viread). But, change is possible if we understand why people act the way they do and then use this information to creatively and constructively support health. The obstacles are huge and it may take a revolution, but then don't you want to change the world?
- M. Cohen, Y. Chen, M. McCauley, T. Gamble, M. Hosseinipour, N. Kumarasamy, J. Hakim, J. Kumwenda, B. Grinsztejn, J. Pilotto, S. Godbole, S. Mehendale, S. Chariyalertsak, B. Santos, K. Mayer, I. Hoffman, S. Eshleman, E. Piwowar-Manning, L. Wang, J. Makhema, L. Mills, G. de Bruyn, I. Sanne, J. Eron, J. Gallant, D. Havlir, S. Swindells, H. Ribaudo, V. Elharrar, D. Burns, T. Taha, K. Nielsen, D. Celentano, M. Essex, T. Fleming, and the HPTN 052 Protocol Team (2011), Prevention of HIV-1 Infection with Early Antiretroviral Therapy, New England Journal of Medicine, Published Online: July 18, 2011 (DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa1105243). (Editorial by Hammer, S. M., Antiretroviral Treatment as Prevention, Published Online: July 18, 2011, DOI: 10.1056/NEJMe1107487).
- Grant RM, Lama JR, Anderson PL, et al. Preexposure Chemoprophylaxis for HIV Prevention in Men Who Have Sex with Men. iPrEx Study Group. N Engl J Med 2010;363(27):2587-99.
- Baeten J. Antiretroviral pre-exposure prophylaxis for HIV-1 prevention among heterosexual African men and women: the Partners PrEP study. HIV-1-infected adults. 6th IAS Conference on HIV Pathogenesis, Treatment and Prevention. July 17-20, 2011. Rome. Abstract MOAX0106.
- Thigpen MC, Kebaabetswe PM, Smith DK, et al. Daily oral antiretroviral use for the prevention of HIV infection in heterosexually active young adults in Botswana: results from the TDF2 study. HIV-1-infected adults. 6th IAS Conference on HIV Pathogenesis, Treatment and Prevention. July 17-20, 2011. Rome. Abstract WELBC01.
- Michael J. Mugavero, Sonia Napravnik, Stephen R. Cole, Joseph J. Eron, Bryan Lau, Heidi M. Crane, Mari M. Kitahata, James H. Willig, Richard D. Moore, Steven G. Deeks, and Michael S. Saag on behalf of the Centers for AIDS Research Network of Integrated Clinical Systems (CNICS) Cohort Study. Viremia Copy-Years Predicts Mortality Among Treatment-Naive HIV-Infected Patients Initiating Antiretroviral Therapy. Clin Infect Dis. (2011) 53(9): 927-93.
- Study Group on Death Rates at High CD4 Count in Antiretroviral Naive Patients, Death rates in HIV-positive antiretroviral-naive patients with CD4 count greater than 350 cells per µL in Europe and North America: a pooled cohort observational study. Lancet, (2010) published online July 16.
- Losina E, Schackman BR, Sadownik SN, et al. Racial and sex disparities in life expectancy losses among HIV-infected persons in the United States: impact of risk behavior, late initiation, and early discontinuation of anti-retroviral therapy. Clin Infect Dis 2009;49: 1570-8.
- Anastos K, Gange SJ, Lau B, et al. Association of race and gender with HIV-1 RNA levels and immunologic progression. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2000;24:218-26.
- Smith K, et al. Association of race/ethnicity and sex on outcomes in ACTG Study A5202. 18th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections; February 27-March 2, 2011; Boston, MA. Abstract 536.
- Riddler SA, Haubrich R, DiRienzo AG, Peeples L, Powderly WG, Klingman KL, et al. Class-sparing regimens for initial treatment of HIV-1 infection. N Engl J Med 2008; 358:2095- 2106.
- B Taiwo, L Zheng, S Gallien, J Eron, et al (ACTG A5262 Team). Efficacy of a Nucleoside-sparing Regimen of Darunavir/Ritonavir Plus Raltegravir in Treatment-Naive HIV-1-infected Patients (ACTG A5262). AIDS. November 2011 -- Volume 25 -- Issue 17 -- p 2113-2122.
- Reynes J, Lawal A, Pulido F, Soto-Malave R, Gathe J, Tian M, et al. Lopinavir/ritonavir combined with raltegravir demonstrated similar antiviral efficacy and safety as lopinavir/ritonavir combined with tenofovir disoproxil fumarate/emtricitabine in treatment naive HIV-1 infected subjects: PROGRESS 48 week results. In: Abstracts of XVIII International AIDS Conference; Vienna; 18-23 July 2010; abstract THLBB204.
- Eron JJ Jr, Rockstroh JK, Reynes J, et al, for the QDMRK Investigators. Raltegravir once daily or twice daily in previously untreated patients with HIV-1: a randomised, active-controlled, phase 3 non-inferiority trial. Lancet Infect Dis 2011; published online Sept 19. DOI:10.1016/S1473-3099(11)70196-7.
- M Sulkowski, S Pol, C Cooper, et al. Boceprevir Plus Peginterferon/Ribavirin for the Treatment of HCV/HIV Co-infected Patients: Interim On-Treatment Results. 49th Annual Meeting of the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA 2011). Boston, October 20-23, 2011. Abstract LB-37.
- Sulkowski M, Dieterich D, Sherman K, et al. Interim analysis of a phase 2a double-blind study of TVR in combination with pegIFN-alfa2a and RBV in HIV/HCV co-infected patients. In: Program and abstracts of the 18th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections; February 27-March 2, 2011; Boston. Abstract 146LB.
- Prejean J, Song R, Hernandez A, Ziebell R, Green T, et al. (2011) Estimated HIV Incidence in the United States, 2006-2009. PLoS ONE 6(8).
- Gardner EM, McLees MP, Steiner JF, del Rio C, Burman WJ. The spectrum of engagement in HIV care and its relevance to test-and-treat strategies for the prevention of HIV infection. Clin Infect Dis 2011;52:793-800.
Copyright © 2011 The HealthCentral Network, Inc. All rights reserved.
This article was provided by TheBody.com.
Add Your Comment:
(Please note: Your name and comment will be public, and may even show up in
Internet search results. Be careful when providing personal information! Before
adding your comment, please read TheBody.com's Comment Policy