A Day in the Life Video Series: Robert Darrow on Taking His Meds and Living His Dreams

November 21, 2011

Keeping up with HIV meds often means having to weave daily doses into a busy life. How do other HIVers do it? In each episode of this video series, we'll take a peek into the day-to-day routine of a person who's living with HIV, taking HIV meds, and dealing with situations that get in the way of adherence. Watch other videos in the series.

Episode 4: Robert Darrow

Age: 53

Home: Shreveport, La.

Diagnosed: 1985

Summary: "I'm so happy to wake up each day and do what I love," says Robert. He's talking about the community theater he runs, as well as the AIDS service organization he cofounded and is still involved with after more than two decades. Robert shares several tricks that help him take his HIV meds religiously.

Keeping up with HIV meds often means weaving daily doses into busy lives. How do other HIVers do it? In each episode of this video series, we'll take a peek into the day-to-day routine of a person who's living with HIV, taking HIV meds, and dealing w

Produced by Mark S. King.

Copyright © 2011 The HealthCentral Network, Inc. All rights reserved.

6 Reasons Why People Skip Their HIV Meds
Word on the Street: Advice on Adhering to HIV Treatment
More Personal Accounts of Staying Adherent to HIV/AIDS Medications
Advertisement:
Find out how a Walgreens specially trained pharmacist can help you

Comment by: lee west (brooklyn n.y.) Mon., Dec. 22, 2014 at 10:02 am EST
Good man good story. He's choosing to live his life & dreams despite his health situation, He could be home crying & shutting down but he takes his medications & lives a positive life , no wonder he's so successful today

Comment by: jane johnson (sarasota Florida) Sun., Oct. 13, 2013 at 7:42 pm EDT
I need help with working with the Philadelphia center ..ran into a problem with Brett. miss all of you in Shreveport. sorry to hear about Paul,

Comment by: Rick (Guadalajara, Mexico) Wed., Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:05 pm EDT
Great video, very well done, sound and image is perfect. Thanks for sharing ur experiences, and your will to live and be happy. It would of been nice to know what meds u r taking and if u have side effects and how u cope with them. So far for me the side effects are whats giving me some trouble. Greetings and best of luck and congrats for ur theater activities, they are fantastic.

Comment by: Jody S (Santa Rosa) Wed., Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:14 pm EDT
One of the workers at my clinic recommended I just set my cell phone alarm, this works pretty good, but I still forget especially if I'm not at home and don't take my pills at that moment. But, all in all, this works, try it. :)

Comment by: Richard (Shreveport, Louisiana ) Tue., Nov. 22, 2011 at 11:25 pm EST
Bobby you will never know how many people you have inspired over the years, I am one of them and I am glad I also can call you a friend.
Comment by: Bobby (Shreveport, LA) Fri., Dec. 2, 2011 at 2:28 am EST
Richard:
Isn't it nice to still be here?
Come to the theatre! LARAMIE PROJECT this weekend only! Miss you.
Love,