HIV and Death ... In Memory of Dr. Bob

By Ibrahim

October 14, 2011

Weeks ago, we were saddened by the death of Dr. Robert Frascino. Dr. Bob insisted on delivering a message of tolerance towards all people and not only HIV-positive persons, responding to questions that sometimes drifted away from medicine to politics. He was a firm believer that a doctor has no choice other than to eradicate any moral judgments on the human body. Dr. Bob decided to declare his status to everyone, hoping this will help fight the stigma and prove that "HIV is not a death sentence."

Many HIV-positive persons identified with him because "he understands what it's like." He exceeded his goal by declaring his status, and many stopped stereotyping an HIV-positive person as a synonym for drug addict or less educated person. He proved that HIV is not part of what decides your success in life. By doing so, he confirmed to many that we "the humans" were crafted so well, to succeed regardless if we are physically or "biologically" challenged. As long as the spirit of giving, happiness and belief is inside us, we can even become great doctors!

However, for some, the reaction to the news of Dr. Bob's death was shock and fear. Dr. Bob was the faith leader when it comes to the belief that HIV-positive persons should not expect much difference in their life span (if they commit to medications and other health issues). Many felt betrayed by his death. After all, Dr. Bob was the living proof and now the proof is gone. Little we know, when we say: how could he die? Didn't he promise that it will be just fine? Didn't he joke and make fun of every stupid concern we expressed? Didn't he smile a lot and post his pictures smiling at the face of death-threats made by this stupid Virus?

Some even went too far to state: How could he die when he himself was an HIV specialist? Or did he miss the math when he said that an HIV-positive person can live as normal a life as any other HIV-negative person? Well Dr. Bob certainly did not live a life as normal as many other HIV-negative persons. He lived a better life, filled with giving away hope and love to those who needed it most. His example should make us ask: Can an HIV-negative person live a life similar to an HIV-positive person like Dr. Bob?

The notion that death is attached to HIV is the essential point of complaint, which Dr. Bob made against the argument of stigmatizing HIV. Death is related to nothing but the natural and normal stage of every cycle in life. By moving beyond this reasoning and questioning death, we are doing exactly what Bob did not want us to do: panic and get scared. However, this in fact mirrors an important issue that we often do not talk about a lot: death! and how it is what really scares us most in this whole thing of HIV. Our fear of death would likely be much less were it not for our awareness of how ugly deaths due to HIV tend to be received by others.

Questioning the death of Dr. Bob revealed a fear that is entrenched in some of us, but we did not want to confront it yet: our fear to have a shortage of years we planned to live. Here the issue of living happily becomes irrelevant in our mentalities, which are already overwhelmed with measuring things by their numeric numbers. Life becomes measured by the hours, even those we spend sleeping. The concept of counting life in accordance to the happy moments becomes inefficient in our industrial world.

In the Middle East, there was a famous singer called Um Kalthoum; she was known to sing long meaningful poems. In one of the verses -- which became an adage -- she sings ( in Arabic): "Before I met my love, my years were a loss, how dare they count them now for me!"

When I was first diagnosed, I visited a group that helps dying people leave in peace! Yup, I was pretty dramatic even then. I was so sure that it would be a short time before I died. I could not trust anyone anymore, so being told that I will live long enough was just another lie. While I was so sure that within a few years I would progress to death, I was still worried about the ones I love: How can they handle not seeing me? In that meeting I asked about it, and the answer was interesting. The group leader asked me -- in response to my question -- if my love was tangible, or by the spirit. I responded: of course by the spirit ...

"Do you not love them now that you are far away from them and cannot touch them?"

I answered happily: "Of course, I still love them in spite of the distance."

And Voilà, here was the answer. Death can take away the touchable body, but can never take away the most important things, such as love, because they are not tangible. While we might not touch Dr. Bob again, his passion and spirit shall shine forever.

Ok, I am becoming too depressing again, let me switch topics. One thing everyone can agree with: Dr. Bob was the funniest doctor you could meet. He answered questions ranging from fear of having sex with a Zucchini and a pencil to even political questions that carried many crazy issues. I remember how one time someone posted a letter to Dr. Bob, filled with hate and racism towards Muslims and blacks. To my surprise, the answer that came from Dr. Bob was filled with funny spirituality ... and Dr. Bob promised the hateful writer to say a prayer for him so he can be healed from this hate. I guess it's time for us to say back a prayer for you ...

Salam to all, especially to the spirit Dr. Bob!

Send Ibrahim an e-mail.

Get e-mail notifications every time Ibrahim's blog is updated.

TheBody.com's AIDS Memorial
More Viewpoints on Grief, Death and HIV/AIDS

Comment by: jcc (mexico city ) Fri., Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:44 am EDT
I just find out my hero passed away ,Dr Robert Frascino iwas triaying to find him in the body but i just find out what happened it is sad but at the same time i feel relif.God keep him on his hands.

Comment by: BrokenWingedBird (UK) Fri., Oct. 21, 2011 at 9:12 am EDT
Ibrahim wrote, "Dr. Bob was the living proof [that ARVs save us from death] and now the proof is gone". So true, Ibrahim. Dr. Bob's continued presence was indeed a reassurance to us all. But let us not all despair because he is gone. There are many, many people who are still surviving, and healthily, with HIV, by virtue of the ARVs. Look at the highly productive author Edmund White, for just one. He has made it into his 70s! Maybe what we really need to do is put together a list of people alive and well despite HIV? Perhaps The Body could compile such a list? Clearly, as Ibrahim, has shown, we need the reassurance that such a list provides. Otherwise, scattered and isolated as we are in pockets all over the globe, we can all too easily think we are sailing alone into an unknown future.
Comment by: Ethicsfirst Thu., Nov. 17, 2011 at 9:45 pm EST
Not sure we have to comment about everything Ibrahim says with such hyper sensitivity. He is just trying to share. Can we listen without taking away his words out of context to satisfy our professional ego.

Not sure this is right or fair
Comment by: BrokenWingedBird Sat., Nov. 19, 2011 at 6:09 am EST
"Ethicsfirst",

My comment above:
1. agrees and affirms what Ibrahim wrote.
and
2. suggests a positive way forward following our loss of Dr. Bob.

Thus, it appears that in fact it is you who are suffering from some form of "hyper sensitivity", and which may well derive from your own "professional ego".

Comment by: Paul (Johannesburg, South Africa) Fri., Oct. 21, 2011 at 7:49 am EDT
Thank you Ibrahim. You managed to put in words what I believe a lot of us "eyeballs" are thinking.

Salam to you too.
Comment by: Ibrahim (NY) Tue., Oct. 25, 2011 at 7:27 pm EDT
Thanks

Comment by: Faizal Deen (Ottawa, ON, Canada) Thu., Oct. 20, 2011 at 12:45 pm EDT
A beautiful tribute. Thank you!
Comment by: Ibrahim (NY) Thu., Oct. 20, 2011 at 1:07 pm EDT

Comment by: ScotCharles (Los Angeles) Mon., Oct. 17, 2011 at 2:54 pm EDT
Dr. Bob's death was a shock to me. I could tell by the pictures of him that showed he had facial wasting that the virus was waging a war in his body. Now, despite what others may say, it seems HIV took him; but that is not the important point of Dr. Bob's death.

Dr. Bob, like myself and so many other bloggers, preached over and again that HIV is not the end of life, it is the beginning of a new and more immediate life. So many people with a new HIV diagnosis chase around searching for more life, when the goal of the chase should be quality not quantity.

Perhaps I was lucky; I was diagnosed early on in the epidemic when HIV was a death sentence. I don't know who said it but nothing makes life so sweet as the knowledge that you shall soon die. All you children of the sixties will remember Don Juan in the Castenada books, who preached that one should make a friend of one's death so that life is quickened.

We should not mourn Dr. Bob's passing. We should celebrate his belief that the day is sufficient to the day, and tomorrow is unknown. I always say, "life is a river", which comes from the sayings of Edgar Cayce, the sleeping prophet of sixties fame. These two beliefs are an equality.
Comment by: Ibrahim (NY) Tue., Oct. 18, 2011 at 9:22 pm EDT
Thanks for sharing your thoughts
Comment by: Ndaka (South Africa) Sat., Oct. 29, 2011 at 12:45 pm EDT
I agree, to the notion that quality life is more important. That quality life often gives you quantity

Comment by: Amos (Makati, Philippines) Sat., Oct. 15, 2011 at 5:53 am EDT