A Day in the Life Video Series: An Interview With Tree Alexander

September 1, 2011

Keeping up with HIV meds often means having to weave daily doses into a busy life. How do other HIVers do it? In each episode of this video series, we'll take a peek into the day-to-day routine of a person who's living with HIV, taking HIV meds, and dealing with situations that get in the way of adherence. Watch other videos in the series.

Episode 2: Tree Alexander

Age: 25

Home: Brooklyn, N.Y.

Diagnosed: 2006

Summary: Tree Alexander was diagnosed around age 20, started meds right away, and became homeless for a short time afterward. He shows us around his Brooklyn apartment, and shares how family and friends help him stay healthy.

Filmed by Olivia Ford and produced by Mark S. King.

Copyright © 2011 The HealthCentral Network, Inc. All rights reserved.

6 Reasons Why People Skip Their HIV Meds
Word on the Street: Advice on Adhering to HIV Treatment
More Personal Accounts of Staying Adherent to HIV/AIDS Medications

Comment by: Tella (Pleasanton, CA) Fri., Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:05 pm EDT
Tree, You made me feel SO good today! Though I do not have HIV or AIDS, I have drug resistant high blood pressure coupled with struggling with the after effects of weight loss surgery a few yrs ago. I now take 5 blood pressures and 7 vitamins and other meds for bypass patients. Even though I know I must take these meds everyday for the rest of my life, I AM TIRED of taking meds! If I miss a day I know I could have a stroke, still I miss days and sometimes weeks. But when I heard your story and how positive you were, you gave a whole new lease on life! I am 48 and I have been on this daily regiment for 23 yrs. You're young enough to be my child and I am SO THANKFUL to have heard you speak! Thank you so much for the blessing of HOPE you gave me today. I'm praying for you as I hope you're praying for me. Blessings today and always, Tella

Comment by: Sandy (Atlanta, GA) Sun., Feb. 23, 2014 at 6:21 am EST
Alexander you have such a beautiful smile and your inner spirit speaks loud. I'm so happy to know you have a great support system in place. I have relatives in my family who have HIV and I've watched as family member treat them as though they don't exist. I refuse I run with open arms. It seems as though I love them more now if that is possible. I lost my father to this illness because he didn't take good care of himself. However I wish you a long healthy and prosperous life.....I know you will have nothing less. Blessing my brother.........

Comment by: Darlyn B (Los Angeles, CA) Wed., Aug. 14, 2013 at 2:09 pm EDT
These people need help. The meds are really high priced. Most of the infected people can't work due to the affects of HIV. So how can they pay the high prices for the medications??

Comment by: Verlogenes (qUeqEqDanUgM) Tue., Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:54 pm EST
I have fibro and the following helps me. You can eitehr cut down a towel or use a hand or dish towel. sew the three sides like your making a pillow, put inside long grain rice as a filler. Only enough to fill 1/4 to1/3 (or more if you'd like) of the inside. Finish sewing up. Now you can eitehr place in the freezer for 20-30 min + or stick it in the microwave for seconds to minutes until the temp you want. The rice bag will hold the temp for quite a while and will mold around your body. Great for any pain or discomfort and will last forever as long as you don't get it wet. Good Luck!!!

Comment by: Scarlet (California) Wed., Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:36 pm EST
Your video was very inspirational. I would like to talk more with you and become friends and perhaps a part of your large family. Since, I do not have one. I could use the support and a friend.

Comment by: Anonymous Wed., Nov. 30, 2011 at 2:27 pm EST
It has been a year for me i had a husban and a beautiful life i have hiv befor i meet my husban and i did not know it but once i found out my husban was with me in the hospital so we both found out the samr day it was very heart breaking to both of us and he said he would never leave his family no devil in hell would make him leave me so the last time i came home from the hospital an got well he left me all of the kids are grown and gone so now im left alone hurt and depress if he was scard i can understand but he knew he was leaving and so did everyone else but me he just move out i have no job so im am depending on him to take of me i was read sick and my cd4 count was 4 when i found out but now it is 300 and i am getting better every day im in collage no for MRI but my heart is not healed yet so thats my story well half of it any way

Comment by: alex g. (eatafrica uganda) Fri., Oct. 14, 2011 at 6:07 am EDT
lm inspired by a series a day in the life l would request for your help how can l get the series and use it to teach the youth in uganda east africa plz some one help guide me

Comment by: Laurie (Seattle, WA) Wed., Sep. 21, 2011 at 5:36 pm EDT
I am so glad your family is supportive. This is not always the norm.