Word on the Street: Advice on Adhering to HIV Treatment

June 14, 2012

5/16

Reggie Smith

Reggie Smith, Atlanta, Ga.; Diagnosed in 1984

I've been sick and at death's door. When you've had that kind of experience, or if you've lived as long as many of us who are longtime survivors have, the motivation to adhere to our medicine regimens is rooted in gratitude. I try to remember what it was like being sick and how much more enjoyable my life is when I'm feeling physically well. Life is so much sweeter, and I'm so much more of a productive human being, when I'm not consumed with how to overcome sickness. Besides, many of us longtime survivors are now grandparents, so the curiosity of how my grandchildren will look and be as they grow up is keeping me going too!

Read more of Reggie's thoughts on keeping up with HIV meds.

6 Reasons Why People Skip Their HIV Meds
Adherence Tips

Comment by: nonhlanhla (pmb) Tue., Jul. 8, 2014 at 11:09 am EDT
Pls advice me,im lost my cd4 is 839,what to do to increase it, is it safe to start Fdc when reach my cd4 count is 500

Comment by: regtan (Singapore) Fri., Feb. 7, 2014 at 3:47 pm EST
Taking your medications daily requires discipline in oneself. It is more of your determination to adhere on a strict regime to seek a better quality of life in the distance future. Love to treasure your life ! Not waste it !

Comment by: Bruce (San Diego) Wed., Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:29 pm EST
Just do it it first thing in the am when you get up. It's just about doing it at the same time. Can't forget. Been doing it for years.

Comment by: emeno umanah (akawibom) Sun., Sep. 8, 2013 at 5:19 am EDT
will i stop seeing my peroid if i have hiv will i feel inside of me will i have disentre

Comment by: Robert (Florida) Thu., Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:15 pm EDT
I take my HIV medication at bedtime that way I do not feel the side effect, I take Truvada and Viramune Xr, I only wish I could find a good doctor that would help me with my chronic complication with sinus congestion&post Nasal drip into my throat that coures sinus infection which I have to take 5 to 8 time each year antibiotic,just to feel ok, can someone help me with this problem

Comment by: Ms Sheila Ann (Ontario,Canada) Fri., Aug. 24, 2012 at 3:07 pm EDT
I have missed my meds twice so far,on different day's. when I miss do I take them again with my meds for that day. Or do I leave them alone.

Comment by: Rick (Guadalajara, Mexico) Wed., Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:12 pm EDT
Thanks for ur comments, but i find that the biggest problem to adherence to hiv meds, are the side effects. Thats what i find hard to deal with, for instance Truvada is great except that makes my stomach to bloat and gives me some bone pain, too. Then i take Norvir and Reyataz, and these make me dizzy or clumsy. Best of luck to u.

Comment by: Philip (Los Angeles) Wed., Jun. 20, 2012 at 6:14 pm EDT
I've never missed my medication because I take them every morning immediately after feeding my cats. They have to be fed, I have to take my meds. It is a win for them and myself.

Comment by: John (Kentucky) Mon., Oct. 31, 2011 at 9:20 pm EDT
I can seem to remember to take them no matter what. Even if I sit them out. I'm A.D.D. I take medication for that and forget. I think it may be from my body blocks them out and affects my add. I have many side effects and make me really sick.
Comment by: Lin-I (San gabriel,CA) Tue., Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:18 pm EST
You can try some Chinese herb supplement. They do not kill any virus, just improving your immune system and no side effect. There are some HIV postive turn to negative cases happened in China. They took Chinese herb only.