Robert Breining, Philadelphia, Pa.; Diagnosed 2007
Here are some of my best tips:
- Use an alarm on your cell phone or watch. Using a beeping watch or timer to remind you when a dose is due is the easiest way to adhere to your medications.
- Use a pillbox. Counting out your medication and using a pillbox will allow you to see if you remembered to take your medication for that day.
- Use a daily planner. Just like an appointment, add your medication doses into your daily planner to remind you when a dose is due.
- Always plan ahead. If you are going away for the weekend or on vacation, plan ahead. Pack your medications for the entire trip.
- Establish and use your support network. Friends and family members have reminded me a number of times to take my medication.
- Use Post-it notes. I have used this a number of times when I found myself forgetting to take my medications.
- Take them at dinner. I have recently switched to taking my meds at dinnertime. I found it to be easier to remember to take them when I am eating. My dinner plate acts like an alarm clock.
- Easy access. If you take your medication at night, you may want to leave your medication on the nightstand so they are visible to you before you go to bed.