A Bisexual, HIV-Positive, Single Father of Five

A Video Blog

By Jermaine Wright

August 13, 2011

My name is Jermaine Wright and I am a bisexual, HIV-positive, single father of five. If that's not a jaw dropper for ya, I had one of my children while being HIV positive. Here is how it started ...

I moved away from my grandparents' home in South Carolina in 2003 at the age of 16 to live with my mother in Michigan. There I met a 14-year-old girl that caught my eye. I tried for months to get her to be my girlfriend and within that time I learned that she was pregnant with someone else's baby. She considered abortion but I promised her that if she kept the baby then I would help her and be there for her as the father of the son she was carrying. This was a huge promise for a 16-year-old, which I have still upheld to this day.

She took me up on not only my offer to be there for her as the father of her child, but also as her boyfriend. September of 2005 at the age of 17 I had my first child, a little girl whom I named after my deceased sister. I was so happy to have a child of my own. It was expected anyway, every first born in my family had a reputation of having a child at an early age. So I worked my job at the factory and still managed to go to school. In the winter I would shovel snow as an extra side job in order to take care of my girlfriend and our two children.

Finally it was time for me to graduate in 2006. I was 18 and ready to move out of my mother's house and be a family man and be fully independent. What better way to do that than to join the Army! So that's exactly what I did. I completed Basic Training in South Carolina and went on to AIT in Pensacola, FL where I met some of the best looking Air Force women I had ever seen. One night during my normal over-the-phone pillow talk with my girlfriend I picked a fight with her so we could break up which allowed me to become available for one of these Air Force women. I wasted no time in doing so; within two months I had not only snagged a girlfriend but I had a fiancé. March 18, 2007 we married and 3 weeks later we learned that she was carrying a baby. December 13, 2007, my daughter made her appearance into the world.

Sadly, by April of 2008 my wife and I separated. I was struggling too much with wanting to have sex with a man. As soon as we separated I went crazy! I was in bed with every attractive guy Baltimore had to offer. I no longer had to face getting caught by my mom or grandparents, I didn't have a church telling me I was going to hell for it either. It was just me, a bottle of lube, and occasionally a condom and whatever horny guy was available. Even in all my fun of sleeping with men I still struggled with wanting a family and being with a woman, but not just any woman. I went back to the mother of my first two children!

February 21, 2009 I had ANOTHER baby girl! Was I ready to settle down and be a family man this time? NO! After a brief deployment to Afghanistan I went right back to the streets of Baltimore to get more notches on my bedpost. I got into a relationship with one particular guy which caused the relationship between the mother of my children and I to end; and November of that same year I was given an HIV-positive diagnosis.

At this point in the story I was an HIV-positive bisexual father of four. But, wait! Here in 2011 I am now an HIV-positive father of 5 children. So that means ... you have to read my next blog to find out how this happened and what the status of the new mother and baby are.

Check out my past video on the topic of "HIV & Pregnancy":

Send Jermaine an e-mail.

Get e-mail notifications every time Jermaine's blog is updated.

What Did You Expect While You Were Expecting?
HIV/AIDS Resource Center for Women
More Personal Accounts of Becoming Pregnant With HIV

Comment by: John (Philadelphia, PA) Tue., Dec. 13, 2011 at 5:03 am EST
I found your video by searching for bisexual on thebody.com just wondering since you are bisexual, since you've become HIV+ do you still date and have relationships with women?
Comment by: Jermaine (Kalamazoo, MI) Fri., Dec. 16, 2011 at 10:19 am EST
I have had sex with only one woman since my diagnosis and we have a child together. Other than her i have not been interested in women. It seems that once I have become infected with HIV living the life of a homosexual has been a lot easier. Although I haven't approached any women since my diagnosis it just seems like since there is more HIV in the gay world that I might as well stay here. Now i'm not saying this is a fact. Im saying that this is my personal feeling.

Comment by: Gail O. (Philadelphia, PA) Tue., Aug. 23, 2011 at 11:31 pm EDT
Jermain, Thank you for keeping it REAL! Love you and I pray that God continue to bless you.
Comment by: PozLyfe09 (Michigan) Sat., Aug. 27, 2011 at 9:31 am EDT
Thank you for your prayers. Also, thank you for reading my blog. :) expect another one very soon. It's already written.

Comment by: I'm warned (United States Phila Pa ) Tue., Aug. 23, 2011 at 10:45 pm EDT
Thanks for being honest and reminding me of how putrid and foul sin really is
Comment by: PozLyfe09 (Michigan) Sat., Aug. 27, 2011 at 9:29 am EDT
No matter what I have done in life I will try my hardest to be honest about it. Keeping quiet about the things we have done helps noone. My goal is go help as many people as possible in any way that u can. :)

Comment by: Alana (New York, Ny) Thu., Aug. 18, 2011 at 8:35 pm EDT
Theres nothing fascinating about this story. It's actually disturbing. I am not saying this because u have HIV, but because mainly because of your nonchalant attitude about sleeping with so many people UNPROTECTED ... No offense, but your behavior, in my opinion is just feeding into the stereotype about HIV, you are doing NOTHING to destigmatize anything about the virus.

[Editor's note: Parts of this comment were removed because they contained personal attacks. See our Comments Policy for details.]
Comment by: PozLyfe09 (Michigan) Mon., Aug. 22, 2011 at 7:55 am EDT
Thank you for your comment. I'm actually having a hard time understanding how this story feeds the stigma of HIV. During thus time I was HIV - and so were all the mothers and my children. Now in this story I speak of having sex with two people, maybe that's A lot to some people but not to me.
Comment by: Teon (East Lansing, MI) Thu., Sep. 8, 2011 at 4:10 pm EDT
Although I understand what you're saying, Alana, I don't think anyone can really judge someone's story without actually experiencing it themselves. I could tell this was a synopsis of the whole story and that the more he continues to open up then the more understanding everyone could possibly be to what he has went through. On the contrary though, I do feel that some of the decisions he has noted about in this blog weren't at best at that time he made them. I urge everyone to keep protection the priority especially if they have knowledge of their HIV status, because promiscuity is only an issue based on personal ethics but when you aren't using that knowledge to be responsible for yourself or the other people involved then that is gambling with everyone's health. I don't nknow if his honesty is for others to learn from or not but I do believe that being honest and communicating with the world about issues that no one talks about can definitely help destigmatize peoples thoughts on HIV and people who have it because Pozlyfe09's story is not uncommon, whether gay, strsight, Bisexual, Positive or negative...This kind of story just goes to show people anything can happen and that everyone can relate to it instead of thinking that tis only happens to one group of people.

Comment by: Kevin H. (Chicago, IL) Thu., Aug. 18, 2011 at 1:12 pm EDT
Fascinating, you really should consider writing a book.
Comment by: Pozlyfe09 (Michigan) Mon., Aug. 22, 2011 at 7:56 am EDT
Thank you, I'm actually in the process of doing so.

PozLyfe09: Raw Talk on Life With HIV

Jermaine Wright

Jermaine Wright

Jermaine Wright is a young, black, bisexual father of five who is also living with HIV. Following a period of service in the Army he is now at the Community AIDS Resource and Education Services of Southwest Michigan (CARES) where he promotes Mr. Friendly, a prevention tool used to raise awareness of the stigma associated with HIV. His mission is to reach out to other young black people living with HIV in a safe manner via his YouTube channel, PozLyfe09. For many youth, this is the only place they can go to discuss and share about living with HIV with someone who is open about his status and sexuality. Topics of his videos include: disclosure, dating, fathering a child post HIV diagnosis, passing on the virus, barebacking while HIV positive and more.

Speaking engagements: Jermaine Wright is available to speak to groups. Contact Jermaine about speaking at your organization or event!

Visit Jermaine's Web site