FAQs About HIV & Pregnancy
July 17, 2012
- Could my test result during pregnancy be a false negative?
- Which type of HIV test should I get during pregnancy?
- I'm pregnant and just found out I'm HIV positive. I'm very worried now. Where can I find support and information?
- How is HIV transmitted from a mother to her baby?
- Can pregnancy cause indeterminate HIV test results?
- How can I have a baby when I'm HIV positive?
- Tested positive during pregnancy: How can I be sure it's a false positive?
- My wife is pregnant. She's tested positive for HIV; I've tested negative. What should be our next steps?
- I'm HIV positive and my wife is HIV negative, and we want to have a baby. Can she take Truvada (tenofovir/FTC) as pre-exposure prophylaxis until we conceive?
- I'm an HIV-positive woman and my partner is HIV negative. We'd like to have a baby. Is it possible for us to have an HIV-negative child?
- Getting pregnant with HIV and hepatitis B: What do we need to know?
- Sperm washing takes care of HIV, but what about other STDs?
- I'm HIV negative and my husband is positive with a high CD4 count and undetectable viral load. Is it safe for us to conceive naturally?
- I'm HIV positive, but I want to be a father. What are my options?
- My ex-partner and I had unprotected sex for about year. Then I found out he was positive and I was pregnant. The baby has been born, and she and I both remain HIV negative. How can this be?
- Sperm washing around the world: What's the cost?
- I'm a 32-year-old woman and HIV positive. My husband is HIV negative. We want a baby desperately but can't afford in vitro fertilization. What other options do we have to conceive?
- Is it normal for my CD4 count to drop after pregnancy?
- What's a normal CD4 count and CD4 percentage for pregnant women?
- Is it a risk to get pregnant with a low CD4 count?
- My sister's CD4 count declined to 168 after giving birth: Will it rebound?
- Does a woman's CD4 count drop during pregnancy?
- What CD4 count would an HIV-positive pregnant woman need to ensure she has a healthy, HIV-free baby?
- I was recently diagnosed with HIV and have a CD4 count of 750. Is there an ideal CD4 count for getting pregnant? Once I start treatment to prevent transmitting HIV to my baby, will I have to stay on it forever?
- Is AZT (Retrovir, zidovudine) safe to take during pregnancy?
- Can I still take Atripla (efavirenz/tenofovir/FTC) now that I'm pregnant?
- I'm HIV positive and pregnant. I just realized I've been taking the wrong dosages of my meds for about two weeks. What should I do now?
- Will taking Atripla (efavirenz/tenofovir/FTV) while I'm pregnant harm the baby?
- My wife and I are both HIV positive and we're both taking Sustiva (efavirenz, Stocrin) and Truvada (tenofovir/FTC). Would it be possible for us to have an HIV-negative baby?
- How soon I have to stop taking Atripla (efavirenz/tenofovir/FTC) when I'm pregnant? Can I keep taking it through my first trimester without worrying about hurting the fetus?
- Planning a pregnancy: Will I need to switch HIV meds?
- I am 16 weeks pregnant and I was just diagnosed with HIV. My viral load is 76,000 and my CD4 count is 165. I am also anemic and tired most of the time, but otherwise healthy. When should I start taking HIV medication?
- Which HIV medications are unsafe to take while pregnant?
- I'm resistant to almost every HIV medication except Kaletra (lopinavir/ritonavir). My current CD4 count is 246 and hasn't topped 350 since I started treatment. I want to have a child someday; are there any HIV meds that are safe for me to use during pregnancy?
- Should I breastfeed my baby if I'm HIV positive?
- My husband is HIV positive and I'm HIV negative. We used sperm washing and in vitro fertilization to safely conceive. Does our baby need to be tested for HIV right after birth? Can an HIV-negative mother give birth to an HIV-positive child?
- My baby tested positive for HIV at six weeks. His doctor thinks he should start HIV meds at 3 months old. Is this a good idea? How can I be sure that he is really infected with HIV?
For frequently asked questions on other HIV/AIDS topics, click here.
Copyright © 2007-2014 Remedy Health Media, LLC. All rights reserved.