HIV/AIDS Video Central

• Comments Comments
  •  (32)
  • Printable Single-Page Print-Friendly
  • Glossary Glossary
First-Person Stories From HIV-Positive People

Paul: Rape Survivor and HIV/AIDS Educator
Paul, 37, lives in the Northeast, where he is an HIV/AIDS educator. To e-mail Paul, click here.
The Positive Project

Since its founding in 2000, The Positive Project has collected more than 100 first-person stories told by people infected or affected by HIV/AIDS. These stories are used to reduce stigma, raise awareness, promote prevention, encourage testing and enhance care.

To learn more about The Positive Project, click here or visit the official Web site to watch more videos. You can also listen to or read our interview with Dr. Tony Miles, co-founder of The Positive Project.

Rape Survivor and HIV/AIDS Educator

Devoted HIV/AIDS Educator
Carla, 52, lives in California where she's an HIV/AIDS educator and a mother. To e-mail Carla, click here.

Alaskan Native Working in Harm Reduction
Clarence, 45, lives on the West Coast. He does HIV/AIDS education and harm reduction. To e-mail Clarence, click here.

Native American Infected at 20
Prairie is a 24-year-old Native American from the Northern Plains. She is an HIV/AIDS educator and a mother and has been infected for four years.

• Email Email
  • Comments Comments
  •  (32)
  • Printable Single-Page Print-Friendly
  • Glossary Glossary

This article was provided by The Positive Project.

The Positive Project

Comment by: Jozie (Kenya) Fri., Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:50 am EDT
Hi Clarence,
I really need to meet more of guys like you who are open and can offer advice on some of us. I was diagonised 13 years ago and its like my life has come to a stand still and even getting into a relationship is meaningless coz I fear rejection once I disclose. Please advice me

Comment by: lady e (atlanta) Sat., Jan. 2, 2010 at 7:16 pm EST
I am so glad that this site is here there is so much good information on here. I have been positive for 2 yrs. We need tocontinue to keep the fight on getting the messang out there about this virus. Thanks for the info

Comment by: nicole (houston tx) Mon., Nov. 30, 2009 at 11:00 am EST
life has its goods and its bads and every body that is going through it it's not over and it's not the end of the day yell we all had a day to choose keep faith no matter how other take it you gone make it

Comment by: vanessa Sun., Sep. 6, 2009 at 5:26 pm EDT
carla the only thing I can say is we need a movie deal. I felt your spirit in this video. you are sick for a reason. you are strong and you have the power to move people. I wish I had you as a friend. I have been isolated for five years I think I will go outside today.

Comment by: bernice spearman (shreveport la) Tue., Sep. 1, 2009 at 10:35 pm EDT
i am just beginning to learn about HIV. My son passed last year from hiv & i want to know more about aids. He was 44 years old. He died in november. I was there to see what aids can do on a human body would like to form a group. my email address is msniccie@yahoo.com thanks bernice email me at my email address would like to help and share imformation about this disease thanks

Comment by: Nicky (Nyc) Thu., Aug. 13, 2009 at 1:42 am EDT
You know I agree with you Phil, people can be so judgmental (Joyce) when they are looking in on the picture, but when they are a part of the picture they are the type of people to shut up and hope to mesh in with the crowd. These people are courageous, and they are trying to live one day at a time without the negative perspective of people like Joyce.

Comment by: Phil (LA) Fri., Jul. 31, 2009 at 10:40 am EDT
I find it greatly disheartening that joyce's comment is still on here or no one else has responded. I wonder if Joyce feels the same about unintentional pregnancies? Peoples lives are complex and mistakes get made. If we are to be judge and jury of people's behavior you are adding to the problem and not working to solve it. What happened to compassion, empathy and understanding. Please joyce go to an HIV class in south Africa and get some information. Hell if you want i'll even find one for you in South Africa if you want. The people here are HERO’s the bravery it takes to do what they are doing is well beyond anything most of us will have to face.

Comment by: Promise (New York) Wed., Jun. 17, 2009 at 9:45 am EDT
I'm married to a man who is HIV positive, we are expecting his first child.(5months pregnant) I've taken 3 HIV test since. Is it likely that our baby will have defects at all.

Comment by: Joyce (south africa) Sat., May. 30, 2009 at 9:10 am EDT
I dont believe that "whatever has to happen will happen". We are responsible for our own lives...to all those people who were innocently infected..my heart goes out to you.
people need to learn that by having sex with different partners,you are giving yourself a death sentence! Condoms don't protect you..ask your partener to take a test before you put ur life on the line..

Comment by: mahendra.g (india) Thu., May. 28, 2009 at 8:53 am EDT
nothing to worry....what has to happen it will happen........no one can stop it........but be brave...fearless....nothing can stop u...enjoy the life...be positive in ur approach....one life we have...enjoy the life to the core...

Comment by: F Wed., Apr. 29, 2009 at 8:19 pm EDT
It is truly of great support to hear these brave stories from this brave people. I discovered I was positive 1 year ago. At the beginning, I felt scared alone and angry. Well, I can tell everybody that being positive has taught me so much in such a short time that some days I almost forget about my + status and I'm grateful for being a wiser better person! Being positive made me focus on what's really important in life. All the stupid things I used to care for disappeared and now I appreciate every sunny day and every rainy day. When I'm happy people who love me are happy and I'm happier! I'm also sure this positively affected my health. I live without medications and feel extremly well. I think long term and concentrate on my work and friends. I hope that one day we could all speak up about being + without having to bear the consequences! I don't because I fear it would affect my career. Most of the pepole don't realize that they're surrounded by hiv+, that their favorite colleague might be, that their boss might be +... I believe people like us can make the world a better place! Don't give up! F

Comment by: A.B. (NYC) Sun., Apr. 19, 2009 at 9:12 pm EDT
You're a brave soul and a great inspiration for many people.

Comment by: michelle (st louis, missouri) Mon., Mar. 30, 2009 at 3:18 pm EDT
Your clips are very encouraging. up until now I have been very afraid to be tested, after having several partners in the past ten years. I believe i have now found the courage.

Comment by: A Fan of Your Video (California ) Wed., Feb. 18, 2009 at 8:51 pm EST
Thanks for sharing your experience--it was very brave of you to be so candid. I am happy to hear that your children were born healthy and happy! I wish you and your family nothing but the very best!

Comment by: B P O A (Ghana) Fri., Jan. 16, 2009 at 10:04 am EST
It is good to read from people who are willing to open up and being sort of a mentor to others who do think there is no hope for them. I personally appreciate the good work done together we all fight to the end and to send good messages across the world

Comment by: Lisa (NJ) Sat., Sep. 6, 2008 at 9:56 am EDT
I am so thankful for your testimonies. I have been diagnosed in 11/2007 with hiv. I was very sick and admitted to the hosp. thank GOD that I'm okay now. when i was first diagnosed I thought that my life was over until someone informed me otherwise that it wasn't a death sentence anylonger. oh what a relief it was for me to hear those words. my vl was 100,000 and cd4 was 6 in the begining. started praying and believing god for the impossible with man and started taking my meds. I am happy to say that as of 6/2008 my vl is undetectable and cd4 is 294. All I can say is thank u jesus!! God is definitely in control. i'm due to go to the dr on sept. 11,2008 and looking for a better outlook. I try to stay strong about being hiv+. I plan to live my life to the fullest. good luck to everyone. be blessed and have a long prosperous outlook on life.

Comment by: To Paul: Thu., Jul. 31, 2008 at 5:26 pm EDT
I feel sorry what happen to you Cause I was rape also by two guys. one held me while the other fck rape and told me if I go to police they know where I live at . So when I went to Police cop told me Guys dont get raped . god saved me I been tested for HIV pass two years and Dr's told me to stop testing over it and I have OCD . But God will pay them all back trust me . He was there for me. God Bless U . Now I have daughter by my girlfriend and I ask a lot of people about hiv window period and I called FDA. also I lost trust in everybody. I even had the mayor in my city check with health dept and Red Cross told me its 12 months deferred for raped.

Comment by: dado Mon., Jul. 14, 2008 at 11:43 am EDT
thank you for letting us talk to each other like this. i'm 25yrs old and i've lived with the virus for two years since i discovered. i've not told anyone else in the family except my husband who is negative. i also have an 18 month old baby who also tested negative. but sometimes i feel so lonely and i have no one close who actually understands what i'm going through. but thanks to you for this space. congrats to the people who are fighting this virus.

Comment by: crystal Mon., Jul. 7, 2008 at 4:07 pm EDT
I am 25 yrs young and I went through some of the stories that I have heard.

I was diagnosed in 2004 I also had full blown aids and it was Very hard I had lost my mother in 99 and then I lost both of my grandparents in 2001. I also lost my father in 2003 and then I found out that I had this disease. I had tried to kill myself but then I thought about my family.
Now I am living a healthy life my viral load is undetectable and my cd4 is 503

Comment by: JJ Thu., Jul. 3, 2008 at 3:45 pm EDT
I commend you all for having the courage to tell your testimonies. All of them were definitely heartfelt. I don't know what the world would do if we didn't hear your stories. We need them to make us stronger. I haven't been tested yet and I am scared to get tested but this has given me the strength that I need to face this because you all are living proof that having Hiv/Aids is not the end. Bless you all!

Comment by: abdul jalal Tue., Jun. 17, 2008 at 10:54 am EDT
i got this 1993 i came to know this after the marriage when wife was pregnant we got one baby boy. he is ok. my wife taking medicine from 2003 that time she was cd4 c180 i taken from 2007 cot my cd4 c 183 now my cd4 c 481

Comment by: Wanjiku Mwaura Sun., Jun. 15, 2008 at 5:29 am EDT
Talking about HIV is, to me, the first HIV cure. When I was first told that I was positive and a counselor told me that he himself was positive for over 5 years, I felt that being HIV positive was not the end of my life and I still had a life to lead. I believe that stigma kills much faster the AIDS itself and I hope we will continue to reach out to as many HIV+ people especially in the developing country so that they may not die because of stigma. I happy that we have people who are will to give their testimonies and encourage others. Keep it up.

Comment by: george Fri., Jun. 13, 2008 at 7:52 pm EDT
these video clips are up and life saving believe me I have the personal experience. Carla is a life saver and I thank her for that. Take care to you all and keep safe. Live and love every day, its easy for me to say these words, now i have to practice this as well. Take care and aloha George, thanks for taking the time for all of us

Comment by: Carla Fri., Jun. 6, 2008 at 11:02 pm EDT
It is good to see so many people encouraged and educated hopefully. For the person with no coverage and not knowing where to start find out from your state government if your state has Ryan White Care-that's a beginning-A case worker can assist you with the rest. Life for you is not over-You are a PERSON living with a dis-ease and you can make it what you want it to be. Stay encouraged and keep going forward never look back! Challenges to life will always be there. It's not what you go through but how you get through. We can do it! Love to the fullest. Live like its your last day. Uplift someone else everyday!

Comment by: Jonathan Goldman Thu., Jun. 5, 2008 at 2:57 pm EDT
Project Inform's volunteer Hotline operators & staff have over 300 years of experience living with HIV amongst us. Please feel free to contact us for treatment information or to assist in accessing health care services in your community (or one you might be moving to) for advocacy.

We're available Mon - Fri 10 am - 4 pm Pacific Time at 1-866-HIV-INFO (448-4636)or 415-558-9051. Another service available, though not staffed with hivers is the AIDS/HIV Nightline 800-628-9240 or 415-434-2437 available after 5 pm in any time zone.
Jonathan Goldman, Hotline Manager, HIV+ since 1985

Comment by: Michael Thu., Jun. 5, 2008 at 1:56 pm EDT
I am so happy to see that there are so many people who are willing to share their stories openly like this. They can never imagine just how many people it will reach and how many their own story might just help someone who needs that little extra support right now.

Comment by: friend Sun., May. 25, 2008 at 2:21 pm EDT
i'm so glad there are informative web site like this. Fri I was told i'm hiv postive and was sent out. i have no idea what this means. i have no one to talk with. Where do i start???? Who do i tell? As much as you can all accept this, not many others do or will. What am i going to do? I have no coverage and real finances. when should i tell my boyfriend?? signed confused and scared

Comment by: Alan Sat., May. 24, 2008 at 7:32 pm EDT
Keep inspiring. My partner just found out that he is HIV + and it has been a roller coaster for us both. I am HIV -, but I am standing by my partner and will be with him forever. Watching these clips/stories it gives us both courage to move forward to live with this disease and to hopefully once day conquer it. Thank you all!

Comment by: For Dillion Tue., May. 20, 2008 at 7:35 am EDT
you're a brave bright young man. I have gained much respect for those who fight HIV and discrimination.

Comment by: fan Mon., Apr. 14, 2008 at 11:30 pm EDT
Great to hear other people's voices. As an isolated woman with HIV, it's powerful to virtually meet others! Keep up the good work!

Comment by: livewith it Sun., Apr. 13, 2008 at 3:11 pm EDT
Thanks for this initiative to this type of lecture. I am HIv positive and since 2007 i discovered that i was HIV positive by simple test and got the results and since this instance i have learned to leave with this.

Comment by: O.K. Ben. Thu., Apr. 10, 2008 at 1:50 am EDT
I have listned to the video clips and its realy encouraging to have people give their testimonies and feelings.Am sure thourgh this kind of publication we shall win over this virus.I work in the field of HIV/AIDS in my country,sensitizing the vulnerable people en leting them get tested. But its a big challenge because we still have alot of stigma in the communities where by when one tests positive the take time to believe their status and get on to the treatment. One starts on treatment when its now on wast stage of the disease.We still need to do alot of sensitization in our communities.This kind of messages from those living with HIV/AIDS would really help to fight stigma but unfortunately in the rural areas of my country people have no access to this kind of technology to see these video clips.But the stungle continues, we have to fight on and let everyone get the messages about the dangers of HIV/AIDS. Thanks