The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Women

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Support for professional women diagnosed with HIV
      05/30/05 12:19 AM

I can relate perfectly to what you are going through. I was diagonosed almost 10 years ago. For a while prior to my diagonosis I suspected being positive for I had been in a relationship with someone whom indulged in IV drug use and had tested positive. Like you, I was a professional and was terrified that my employer would find out about my illness. At the time of my diagnosis (1996) we did not have the avialability of medications we have today and I thought for sure I was going to die. So, I quit my job and moved to another state. For several years I dealt with poor health and trouble adhering to medications because of side effects.

Today there are so many more medications available that you need not worry about dying. HIV has become a treatable disease and although sometimes it is difficult to adjust to medication, it is not the life threatening illness it use to be. HIV is now a disease that is comparable to diabetes and your chances for survival are relative to how you take care of yourself. That means taking meds as required, good nutrition, plenty of rest, exercise and dealing with stress and your emotional state. Unfortunately as you have already experienced, there is not much support for professional women to help with the emotional side. You will need to get support from family or friends who you trust. Perhaps you can see a therapist that can help you with breaking the news to loved ones when you are ready. In the meantime, learn as much as you can about taking care of yourself and try to make friends in forums such as this and other sites that can serve as a support group for you. There are other sites such as poz.com, positiveconnections.com and others where you can learn more about HIV and/or can establish friendships.
Stay positive and don't give up.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Support for professional women diagnosed with HIV Anonymous 05/28/05 09:14 PM
. * Re: Support for professional women diagnosed with HIV Anonymous   08/24/05 11:51 PM
. * Re: Support for professional women diagnosed with HIV SistasUpperRoom   08/11/05 10:24 PM
. * Re: Support for professional women diagnosed with HIV Anonymous   08/06/05 01:11 AM
. * Re: Support for professional women diagnosed with HIV Anonymous   06/23/05 04:02 PM
. * Re: Support for professional women diagnosed with HIV Love1   06/20/05 05:14 AM
. * Re: Support for professional women diagnosed with HIV LivingPoz   06/08/05 04:08 PM
. * Re: Support for professional women diagnosed with HIV debtex   06/02/05 10:09 PM
. * Re: Support for professional women diagnosed with HIV Anonymous   06/18/05 03:15 AM
. * Re: Support for professional women diagnosed with HIV Anonymous   05/30/05 12:19 AM
. * Re: Support for professional women diagnosed with HIV Anonymous   06/02/05 02:12 PM
. * Re: Support for professional women diagnosed with HIV Anonymous   06/03/05 11:31 AM
. * Re: Support for professional women diagnosed with HIV Anonymous   06/06/05 03:05 PM
. * Re: Support for professional women diagnosed with HIV tootoo   05/29/05 09:15 PM
. * Re: Support for professional women diagnosed with HIV sage   05/29/05 03:43 PM
. * Re: Support for professional women diagnosed with HIV Anonymous   06/06/05 01:39 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9251

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3