Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Health and Treatment Issues >> Treatment & Side Effects

ImaNiceGuy

Reged: 01/29/13
Atripla - my story
      09/17/13 09:47 AM

First off, this isn't meant to persuade anyone to choose Atripla or another medicine. I just wanted to share my personal experience because when I first started Atripla I searched online as was scared to death after reading all the accounts of people who didn't tolerate it.

I was diagnosed in December of 2012. I had a CD4 count of 209 and a VL of 19,000. By the time I started medication my viral load was 60,000.
[Edit: I started treatment in January.]
The first two days I took Atripla at night 2 hours after eating. I experienced a little dizziness and it kind of felt like the room was spinning, but it wasn't anything extreme. Aside from that, the only other side effect I had was a bit of heartburn. I have always had fairly vivid dreams and I didn't notice any change in that area. The only other problem I had was a bit of constipation the first few weeks.

About 3 weeks in I wasn't having any problems at all.

In March my blood work showed that my VL was down to 124 and CD4 was up to around 500. I was a little disappointed because I was hoping to hear it was undetectable.

At the end of June I had more blood work at my VL was undetectable! My CD4 had jumped up to 675. It was great news.

I have been very good about not missing doses. Only one instance where I fell asleep and forgot to take it, but was able to take the missed dose at 7am when I woke up. Atripla is very forgiving if you forget to take it at the exact time you should. I also found that having a light snack after taking it has no ill effects- and if I take it only an hour after eating I don't seem to have any problem.

I feel great now and I go back in a few weeks for the next set of blood work and I expect that everything will continue to be acceptable.

Again, I only post this so that those people reading aren't so scared of starting an HIV medicine. I know that my situation doesn't apply to everyone, but I hope it gives a little peace of mind to someone who is in the same situation.

As my doctor said: the medication for HIV has come along way. HIV is no longer a death sentence. You may have to take medicine every day for the rest of your life, but there's no reason you won't grow old and die from some other reason.

Edited by ImaNiceGuy (09/17/13 07:27 PM)

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Atripla - my story ImaNiceGuy 09/17/13 09:47 AM
. * Re: Atripla - my story livingthelife   07/17/14 11:49 PM
. * Re: Atripla - my story anotherday   09/17/13 08:58 PM
. * Re: Atripla - my story anotherday   09/23/13 06:18 PM
. * Re: Atripla - my story ImaNiceGuy   09/17/13 09:36 PM
. * Re: Atripla - my story lilfshrmn   09/17/13 05:03 PM
. * Re: Atripla - my story ImaNiceGuy   09/17/13 07:29 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bogart, TheBody, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1809

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3