The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Health and Treatment Issues >> Treatment & Side Effects

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/11
Loc: Thailand
Just started BP meds, and am really pleased!
      06/16/12 01:47 AM

I wanted to share this experience I am having to help encourage anyone else who may be going through the same. I am also interested in hearing if others have already crossed this bridge and how they are doing.

Before I was infected, my blood pressure was always "high-normal"; 130's/high 70's or 80's. After finding out about my positive status in January of last year, and going on the Atripla cocktail in March of the same year (I take it as Truvada + Stocrin), my doc warned me that my BP will likely go up and stay up because of the tenofovir and/or efavirenz. Well, that did happen. My BP was now consistently in the 140's/high 80's or even 90's - NOT good.

We decided to give it some time to see if my body would adjust. I boosted my exercise, tossed out the salt shakers, nixed coffee, and did all sorts of things over the last 15 months - nothing made a dent. I also noticed that during this time, I felt anxious through most of my day; my heart always seemed to be pounding in my chest and I always had this vague nervous feeling. It was manageable, but not fun. I assumed it was just stress from work, being positive, keeping up with my kids, etc.

This last week, my doc and I decided it was time to take action to prevent damage to my body; I started a low dose of Atenolol (a pretty safe beta-blocker), 25 mg, once a day, in the morning. I am SOOOOO pleased with the results! I know it's early, and I will update about what happens, but I feel really encouraged. My BP is now around 120/75 and I feel GREAT! The nervous, anxious feeling that I have had for over a year now is gone - just GONE! I feel really calm. I have a lot more energy the last few days and am just loving how good I feel. I am so encouraged and my doc is really pleased. We know there is many more months of monitoring to do, but this looks really good so far.

I just wanted to share this experience and hear if anyone else is or has had to deal with this. I hope to hear your thoughts and stories about this issue. Thanks!

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Just started BP meds, and am really pleased! Pos_in_Thailand 06/16/12 01:47 AM
. * Re: Just started BP meds, and am really pleased! atomicforex   09/19/12 02:07 PM
. * Re: Just started BP meds, and am really pleased! Pos_in_Thailand   09/19/12 10:25 PM
. * Re: Just started BP meds, and am really pleased! riverprincessModerator   06/16/12 08:08 PM
. * Re: Just started BP meds, and am really pleased! Pos_in_Thailand   06/17/12 12:21 AM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bogart, TheBody, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1335

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3