The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Health and Treatment Issues >> Treatment & Side Effects

smilek

Reged: 04/23/11
Chronic Telogen effluvium (hair loss) - Help
      04/23/11 03:03 PM

I've been diagnosed with HIV since 1992. I've been on numerous treatments although I'm currently on Norvir, Truvada and Prezista. For the past 5-6 years I have been going through a chronic hair loss, Telogen effluvium (thinning of the scalp). It comes and goes every 6 months or so. But itís getting to be quite concerning as a female. I used to have gorgeous long hair. I donít know what to do. I thought it was hormonal, as I had a hysterectomy 12 years ago. I had my hormone levels checked and the results came back the levels near zero. My doctor took me off the estrogen pill, as I wasn't absorbing it and put me on a patch. This has worked wonderfully. But even after seeing a dermatologist, GYN and my infectious disease doctor - No one can see anything wrong with causing the issue. They chalk it up to stress.
At the first onset, I could understand it as I was going through an awful lot of stress. But after 5-6 years, I just donít believe that would continue to be the case. I'm not under any undue stress that would be causing the hair loss every 6 months. I've done some reading and noticed the HIV meds could cause the hair loss. But I donít know if thatís the case with me. I thought creating an account here and reaching out to others to see if anyone else if having the same issue. Please help, Iím at my wits end and just want this to end.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Chronic Telogen effluvium (hair loss) - Help smilek 04/23/11 03:03 PM
. * Re: Chronic Telogen effluvium (hair loss) - Help Pos_in_Thailand   06/02/11 05:04 AM
. * Re: Chronic Telogen effluvium (hair loss) - Help smilek   07/04/12 12:10 AM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bogart, TheBody, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3722

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threadsô 6.2.3