The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive


Week 3
      03/29/00 09:49 PM

OK.... so I'm in Week 3 of knowing for sure. I've made it through
the just punched in the stomach feeling. I tried to feel sorry
for myself for about a day but I haven't ever been good at the
melodramatics. I've never been good at denial so it's a reality.
I'm coming to terms with the embarassment/shame aspect for being
so foolish as to allow myself to get into the situation where I
am going to have to sit down with my mother and explain that even
though I promised that I would be careful and that this would not
be a reality.... I wasn't and it is...... I'll work through it.

But here is my dilema.... I know it shouldn't be.... but it is...
Health insurance... I'm currently contracting, but will be going
permanent with a BIG company with full health coverage at the end
of the month. I'm concerned about a preexisting condition
limiting my coverage. I tested through public health and they
assured me that my results are totally confidential.... so at
this point my primary care physician knows nothing. Before I make
another move, I intend to wait until I'm on the payroll and fully
enrolled in ALL of the insurance options (health, life,
disability, etc) that I can enroll in with no questions asked.
How should I play it after that? Should I walk into my primary
care physician, tell him I have tested positive, have him test me
again, and then seek out the specialist to find out viral loading
and Tcell count? Should I play possum and go in with generic non
descript symptom (dry cough, thrushing, night sweats, etc), maybe
tell him I have reason to believe I'm positive, and have him test
me??? Or should I wait until I get ill (cold, flu, sinus
infection) and insist on a test at that time? How long should I
wait after I have the coverage to go in?? A week?? A month?? Two
months?? Maybe I'm being cynical but I don't think it would be
prudent to have it documented in my health record that I know or
I suspected that I was positive before the insurance kicked
in..... or am I worrying unnecessarily??? I want to have a plan
together and in place. I have been reading and educating myself
and know a lot of decisions cannot be made until I know viral
load and Tcell counts, but I don't want to be in a situation
where I limited myself because the insurance company can show I
knew I was positive before I was insured.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated....

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Week 3 Todd 03/29/00 09:49 PM
. * Re: Week 3 Grendel   03/29/00 09:55 PM
. * Re: Week 3 JoAnn   03/29/00 09:54 PM
. * Re: Week 3 Josh   03/29/00 09:52 PM
. * Re: Week 3 Carol   03/29/00 09:52 PM
. * Re: Week 3 Todd   03/29/00 09:51 PM
. * Re: Week 3 RadioBoy   05/10/00 05:26 PM

What's New at

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, gigi, riverprincess 

      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6935

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3