Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
Re: New to forum
      12/29/13 10:00 PM

Let me be like all the others and welcome you to a family we wish never had another member! I'm like Riverprincess. Been HIV+ for a long time (more than 25 years) and getting along just fine. We don't always agree on everything said here, because we are 2 different people. You will become part of the big HIV+ family, but you will also always be your own individual. NEVER loose that!

The great thing about entering into this situation at this time in life is that there have been MANY before you, and we've basically gotten it down to what needs to be done to treat someone. Not just the physical treatment. Yes, going to the doctor is very important. But, along with health care comes other issues. You're going through what is probably the most underserved one - mental health. Underserved but not ignored. If you feel overwhelmed please talk with your HIV clinic and ask for help. A nurse or case manager might be able to sit down and talk with you. Or, they might be able to refer you to a support group. Never be ashamed of feeling uneasy. HIV can be complicated with much information requiring many questions to get all the answers you want. Questions you probably don't even know to ask, yet.

Let me start with a few that most people ask at the beginning -
1) How long do I have to live? Until you die. Noone I know has ever had an expiration date stamped on the bottom of their foot. Take care of yourself, eat correctly, see your doctors and do what they say and you'll live much longer. HIV is far from the "instant death sentence" as first reported in the media 30 years ago. It's a long-term, manageable disease.

2) Is there a cure? Nope. And, despite excellent research probably not in the near future. In the entire history of mankind we have discovered how to stop 1 virus - smallpox. Using an inoculation. We can't cure it once you've got it, but with a shot we can prevent it. HIV is a virus. Immensely difficult to treat. near impossible to cure.

3) What about treatments? Nearly 40 different medications are currently being used to treat HIV. It takes a combination of meds to be taken at the same time, so there aren't 40 different treatments you can try. You take Stribild. A very new combination pill made up of 4 different meds. There are always new meds in development. Most of the newer meds also come with fewer, less serious side effects.

4) Should I be nervous? Probably not. If there was something seriously wrong with your bloodwork the clinic would have you go in immediately. Not wait for your next appointment. But, everyone including myself gets nervous.

5) Everyone on the street/in the store/at church will know I'm HIV+. Yeah, they will if you wear a sweat shirt with that plastered on it. Otherwise, there is no outward indication that a person is HIV+. If you have a 4" nose with a big wart on the end and hair that sticks out every direction on a good day people are still going to look at you funny. But, in this wonderful world we live in people are still more concerned about their own lives and take little to no notice of the people around them.

Please ask questions here. Or, PM people. The only bad question is the unasked question. Doesn't matter how many times others have asked it if you don't know the answer.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* New to forum Gardener 12/19/13 09:55 PM
. * Re: New to forum klamos58   01/08/14 06:00 PM
. * Re: New to forum iam1   12/29/13 10:00 PM
. * Re: New to forum Gardener   01/02/14 08:26 PM
. * Re: New to forum ImaniKe   01/05/14 06:24 PM
. * Re: New to forum anotherday   01/07/14 02:40 PM
. * Re: New to forum riverprincessModerator   01/05/14 06:49 PM
. * Re: New to forum anotherday   01/03/14 09:59 PM
. * Re: New to forum riverprincessModerator   01/03/14 03:22 PM
. * Re: New to forum Teedo   12/26/13 12:14 AM
. * Re: New to forum riverprincessModerator   01/04/14 10:03 AM
. * Re: New to forum riverprincessModerator   12/27/13 06:49 PM
. * Re: New to forum anotherday   12/19/13 11:55 PM
. * Re: New to forum Gardener   12/21/13 08:30 AM
. * Re: New to forum riverprincessModerator   12/24/13 09:37 AM
. * Re: New to forum lovableo   12/26/13 03:59 AM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3015

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3