Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

DaveSF

Reged: 01/14/09
Loc: San Francisco, CA
Re: Chances of False Positives? Maybe Im In Denial
      06/19/13 05:16 PM

I don't want to get your hopes TOO far up, but all of the "first tier" HIV tests can have "false positives", and the rapid tests (especially the Oraquick test, which was probably the first one you had) have a higher rate of false positives than the Elisa test. If the secondary test that was performed was another rapid test (there are several types) than it, too, COULD be wrong.

Blood testing would typically be the Elisa test first. If that is positive, then the Western Blot is performed (the WB can have false negatives, but never false positives.). If both tests say positive, then infection is confirmed. PCR test looks for the virus itself, rather than antibodies detected by the other tests. It is not really meant as a diagnosis of infection but if it does return a viral load, then infection is confirmed.

Given your reported sexual history, it seems as if infection is unlikely, but not impossible. I'd hold out some hope that the rapid tests are wrong, but prepare yourself for the possibility that they're not. As someone who has lived with HIV for most of my life, positive more than thirty years, I can confirm that HIV is not the end of the world. It's a condition to be monitored and managed, but you can live a wonderful and full life to a ripe old age. I certainly plan to keep doing so!

Good luck, I hope the blood tests turn out to be negative.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Chances of False Positives? Maybe Im In Denial Kirkhaven1 06/15/13 10:09 PM
. * Re: Chances of False Positives? Maybe Im In Denial benme   06/24/13 10:15 AM
. * Re: Chances of False Positives? Maybe Im In Denial DaveSF   06/19/13 05:16 PM
. * Re: Chances of False Positives? Maybe Im In Denial iam1   06/19/13 05:10 PM
. * Re: Chances of False Positives? Maybe Im In Denial anotherday   06/16/13 09:45 AM
. * Re: Chances of False Positives? Maybe Im In Denial notinterested   06/16/13 12:59 AM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5157

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3