Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
Re: Chances of False Positives? Maybe Im In Denial
      06/19/13 05:10 PM

First - I am NOT a medical expert. What I say is from what I've learned over the years.

Most people get an HIV test using a rapid test either oral or blood. Both these tests are over 99% accurate each time.

When a person gets a positive result we require a followup test to get confirmation. This is a Western Blot. It is considered next to 100% accurate each and every time. The ELISA test is used to look for antibodies for HIV. This is what the oral swab tests for, too. If all these tests continue to return with positive results you ARE HIV+. (Not the weakest link....)

Blod tests can easily take a week to 10 days to get results back. They'll call you into the office to give you results whether positive or negative. With a positive reslut they'll work with you to get you into care. PLEASE stay in care. It can mean the beginning of a very long life if you do!

The possibility of having continued false positives is so remote that I can't recall ever having heard of it happening.

Don't rely on seroconversion to give you an indication of being HIV+. With many people the symptoms are so innocuous to be mistaken for a 2 day cold at most. Your skin doesn't turn bright green. Your hair doesn't turn blue. Ballons don't suddenly appear over your head announcing to the world that you have HIV. This is the problem with this disease and why 20% of infected Americans don't know they're infected.

It could have been any of your last 3 partners. Find a way to calmly tell each of them to get tested. Many clinics offer to tell your partners anonymously for you if you choose to go that route. HIV doesn't have "symptoms" and if one of them has it they may not realize it. If all 3 test negative than you'll need to start looking further back. (But they should still get tested regularly through life.) HIV can be in your body for years without causing any problems.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Chances of False Positives? Maybe Im In Denial Kirkhaven1 06/15/13 10:09 PM
. * Re: Chances of False Positives? Maybe Im In Denial benme   06/24/13 10:15 AM
. * Re: Chances of False Positives? Maybe Im In Denial DaveSF   06/19/13 05:16 PM
. * Re: Chances of False Positives? Maybe Im In Denial iam1   06/19/13 05:10 PM
. * Re: Chances of False Positives? Maybe Im In Denial anotherday   06/16/13 09:45 AM
. * Re: Chances of False Positives? Maybe Im In Denial notinterested   06/16/13 12:59 AM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4527

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3