Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
Re: Disclosing to parents!
      05/22/13 03:55 PM

PLEASE read through this response before forming an opinion about me.

Run away! As quickly as far as you can!

I wouldn't normally give this advice to everyone. Until today I've never given it to anyone. But, you've got to think of yourself first. Then family. If you're not well how can you be anything but a burden to your family?

Now, let me explain why I told you to run.

Not everyone's world is the same. In a perfect world whenever something happened to us the family and friends would be there to support us or to cheer with us. In a perfect world we'd have free healthcare anywhere we went. Unfortunately, noone lives in a perfect world.

You need to do some reasearch and find a location in this world where you can go to get treatment. It may require your living there for years. If you're being treated well I don't imagine this to be a problem.

But, you need to get your own life under control before you go home to share your story with anyone else including family.

One of the most difficult questions to answer regarding HIV is when can a person disclose to their family? The answer is never the same for any two people. You are the best person to decide for yourself. You can't always predict how others will repsond to the news, but you can decide how you'll be able to handle their knowing.

Your home community is obviously small where everyone knows everyone else's business. (This happens across the world. It's nothing new or original.) This makes you very uncomfortable. You need to have a safe "out". A place to go to if telling them makes you too uncomfortable to be there with them.

What can you do to get ready to face family? Educate yourself! The biggest obstacle in the fight against HIV is a lack of education. The more you understand about this disease the more comfortable you'll be with yourself. The more comfortable your are with yourself the less anybody else's actions can affect you.

Unfortunately, you are always going to be the "slutty whore" in the eyes of those who refuse to educate themselves. All I can say about that is WELCOME TO THE CLUB! There are more of us then anyone wants to admit.

As for running "far away". That may be the next community over. It may be across the country. It may be a different country. You have to decide for yourself where to stop. Where you feel comfortable.

Whereever you go; whatever you do I wish you the best of luck. Be strong for yourself. Try to ignore what the little people around you are saying. You're not the first. You won't be the last. When you do get your life a little more settled remember what you went through and be there to offer asistance to others needing help.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Disclosing to parents! hivstudent 05/22/13 03:19 PM
. * Re: Disclosing to parents! bscottmatt   08/10/13 01:18 PM
. * Re: Disclosing to parents! jimwhoski   05/25/13 09:57 AM
. * Re: Disclosing to parents! riverprincessModerator   05/22/13 08:39 PM
. * Re: Disclosing to parents! iam1   05/22/13 03:55 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3136

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3