Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
Re: Just started my treatment today.
      04/01/13 03:10 PM

Mark, Congratulations on seeking care and getting help! So many people try to deny to themselves that they could possibly have HIV. These people tend to be the people who do poorly on meds, because they don't take them like they should.

Taking your meds is IMPORTANT! Taking your meds correctly is IMPORTANT! Not missing doses of your meds is IMPORTANT! Do you see the idea I'm trying to push here?

I'm going to be the wet blanket at you party here. I'm going to tell you, because you need to know. It's been the weekend and hopefully you're still taking your meds with no side effects. But, side effects often take days to show. You may just be starting to see them now. Don't be surprised if you have a reaction next weekend. If you get through the first couple days without severe reactions chances are later reactions (if they occur) will be mild.

IF you have a reaction keep taking the meds if at all possible. Try to get through the side effects. Call and talk with the staff (the nurses are very good about handling this type of issue) at the clinic where you're being treated if the side effects persist more then 4 or 5 days. Or, if the side effects are causing you to not be able to function normally (not work, not sleep).

One of the first things I do whenever I get a new med is look it up on the internet. What is most important for me to know the interactions and restrictions. Most meds you take from now on WILL have both.

It's important to get all your meds from the same pharmacy. They are your first line for drug interactions. And, interactions don't only occur with prescribed meds. Many of the HIV meds have contra-indications for other over-the-counter products. You need to discuss with your care providor all possible meds you might take. Even vitamins and aspirin.

Most HIV meds don't have food restrictions by type of food. Some do have food restrictions by limiting when you can eat. It's important to follow these instructions. if the label says "Not 2 hours before or 1 hour after" be sure you have a good 3 hour window. And, some of the meds recommend that you DO eat when you take them. This is to prevent stomach discomfort, diarrhea (could be explosive), and gas (enough to fuel a medium sized city for the next 20 years).

The meds your doctor is going to prescribe for you are considered first line meds. Meaning they are recommended for people to take them first. They have been proven to work well with fewer side effects.

At some point in your treatment your meds will start to fail. It happens to everyone no matter how well you take your meds. HIV is a devious little bug that can mutate to find a way around the different meds being used to fight it. This is why they continue to do blood test regularly. If/when the meds fail there are other meds that can be used. Some of them first line meds. Some of them second line meds but still very good. Maybe with more pills or stricter restrictions on dosing.

BUT, the number of possible meds is NOT unlimited. If you refuse to take them as prescribed or want to complain about the side effects then you may find yourself suddenly with few to no opetions.

Luckily, for most of us, there are always new meds in the pipelines going through trials. Chances are when you change meds what you get changed to isn't even on the market, yet.

Stick with your meds as best you can for as long as you can. Suffer side effects if possible. Get through the side effects. A month of side effects for a med you could be taking for 10 years is a tiny price to pay.

Let us know how you're doing. And, if you have any side effects.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Just started my treatment today. Mark100 03/29/13 12:09 PM
. * Re: Just started my treatment today. Mark100   04/28/13 11:03 AM
. * Re: Just started my treatment today. poslady81   05/10/13 06:52 PM
. * Re: Just started my treatment today. DaveSF   05/06/13 10:14 PM
. * Re: Just started my treatment today. oksikoko   04/14/13 02:08 AM
. * Re: Just started my treatment today. Mark100   04/10/13 08:29 PM
. * Re: Just started my treatment today. riverprincessModerator   04/11/13 07:07 PM
. * Re: Just started my treatment today. DaveSF   04/11/13 05:07 PM
. * Re: Just started my treatment today. Starboy   04/07/13 05:07 PM
. * Re: Just started my treatment today. iam1   04/01/13 03:10 PM
. * Re: Just started my treatment today. DaveSF   04/04/13 04:00 PM
. * Re: Just started my treatment today. Mark100   04/01/13 09:50 PM
. * Re: Just started my treatment today. kicker   03/29/13 04:33 PM
. * Re: Just started my treatment today. Mark100   03/29/13 05:50 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5418

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3