Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
Re: Confused on when to start meds? Any suggestions?
      03/11/13 03:08 PM

When to start treatment is a very difficult question sometimes.

With some people their viral load is high and their CD4 count is either low or dropping. These people need to start treatment.

With others such as yourself the viral load isn't low, but isn't excessive. And, not knowing your CD4 count doesn't make the decision any easier. If your CD4 is still in the good range (above 500) I would wait to start treatment.

The high viral load you have may be just regular seroconversion. This is the time where HIV settles into the body and the body starts fighting it. I wish there was a better way of putting this. Makes it sound like HIV is moving into the neighborhood and going to be a bad neighbor. But, that's basically the truth.

If you start taking meds now you WILL have to take them for the rest of your life. With current meds and those in developement that could be a very long life. Most people can't comprehend having to take meds everyday. They think about taking a course of antibiotics or pain pills for a couple weeks. Taking your meds becomes a matter of living. Don't take your meds and you can die. No vacations. No weekends off. No stay-overs at friend's homes without your meds. The first couple weeks are easy. The next couple months takes some adjusting. The next 10 years makes you realize how dependent you are on your meds.

I started taking meds late. Almost too late. Viral load in the millions. CD4 count < 20. I do NOT recommend anyone going this route! I've been on meds for 14 years. In that time I've probably missed less than 10 doses. My last viral load is <20. My last CD4 is > 800.

When should you start? I've discussed this with several people I know. It depends. If your labs are okay and you don't feel confortable taking meds forever - wait. If your labs are okay, but you think you're ready to delve in and devout the time it takes to get and take your meds than by all means do. If your labs aren't looking so hot then consider the alternative. Life with meds or death without. I'm not afraid of death. I'm just not finished living.

Recent studies have shown that simply being HIV+ can have detrimental effects on the body. Better to get it under control as soon as possible.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Confused on when to start meds? Any suggestions? Mark100 02/28/13 12:10 PM
. * Re: Confused on when to start meds? Any suggestions? iam1   03/11/13 03:08 PM
. * Re: Confused on when to start meds? Any suggestions? Mark100   03/12/13 02:07 PM
. * Re: Confused on when to start meds? Any suggestions? riverprincessModerator   03/01/13 04:37 PM
. * Re: Confused on when to start meds? Any suggestions? Mark100   03/01/13 09:15 PM
. * Re: Confused on when to start meds? Any suggestions? riverprincessModerator   03/07/13 04:49 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1841

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3